Ich and how to get rid of it using Chloroquine Phosphate (CP)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Reefers.
Ich is a hot subject. Commonly found parasite that is more common in Tangs and can wipe entire tanks out in matter of days.
There are only 3 methods known to work on ich and rest are all myths.

1. Copper based medicine
2. Hypo Salinity
3. Tank Transfer

Now I have already written a guide on cupramine and how to use it to rid ich and for a lot of reasons if someone does not want to try copper then Hypo is another solution or Tank Transfer. These 3 methods are proven over time.
A new study/method is being practiced with success by using chemical called Chloroquine Phosphate.
In this guide I will try to explain as much as I can in detail how to perform this treatment with much success.
Please respect this guide as my personal experience and treatment method and NOT by any means a 100% guarantee. This has worked for me few times so please use caution and improvise if something is not mentioned and use this guide as a knowledge and not as set in stone.

First off have a QT setup.
if you don't have a QT setup please look into this link to a thread explaining how a QT is setup. In that thread there are two ways to setup a QT. both ways work the same for Hypo.

Guide to setup a QT:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/guide-to-setup-a-quarantine-tank-qt.297476/

If you decide to go with Cupramine here is a thread for that. A simple step by step guide:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-using-copper-based-medication.297796/

If you decide to do Hypo Salinity here is a link to that guide:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-using-hyposalinity.297798/

One u have a QT setup:

I strongly recommend use of a very reliable refractometer and ATO (auto top off system)

Day 1: Buy your fish from a well established/reputable source

After bringing the new fish home, Do not open the bags. Acclimate them by letting the bags float for 15-20 min. Check the salinity of the incoming water and adjust the QT to that setting. Once bags are opened acclimate new arrivals using drip method. Once acclimated transfer to QT. Leave lights off for the first day and let the fish adjust to new environment.

Day 2: Turn lights on and observe for any signs of disease.

On Second day, observe for disease. If everything looks normal proceed to prevention mode. Use Prazipro according to manufacturer’s recommendation for 1 week. After first week do 25% water change then dose Prazipro again according to manufacturer’s recommendation. Wait another week do a 50% water change.

Day 15-16: Water change

After 15 days of observation and prevention medication, CP is ready to be administered. We have already performed 50% water change previous day so I recommend another 50% before starting CP.

Day 17: Chloroquine Phosphate CP

CP is a white power chemical that is used in a class of drugs called antimalarials and amebicides. It is used to prevent and treat malaria. It is also used to treat amebiasis.
Most common dosage for CP is 40mg/Gal
Mix the dose according to your tank size and let it do its job for 15-20 days. After 20 days do 50% water change. Next day or two follow up with another 50% water change and use of carbon to rid all CP out of the system. Now observe for another 2 weeks and if there are no signs of ich then you are ready to move fish to main tank.

Ich Emergency
This guide is prevention and method explained above is with assumption that fish are new to your setup and may or may not be infected with ich parasite.
If you have fish that is known and confirmed of infection then don’t follow the steps above. Jump directly into placing the fish in QT doing proper transfer (acclimation etc) and dose tank with CP. Once treatment is over after 15-20 days do 50% water changes over few days and then use Prazipro for 2 weeks and observe for another 2 weeks.

I hope I have provided a good enough procedure for people to follow and wishing everyone Good Luck and Safe reefing.

Note: if there is an error or I left out something or you would like to add on to this please feel free to post.

Thanking You

Mike
Reef Doctor.

Back