OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are pretty close to the full term, however are you certain that there are no diseases issues in the tank this fish would be coming from? Often moving a fish will cause a latent disease to start up.
Jay
Hi, I never like to say certain but I haven’t ever seen a disease break out in this tank. I almost felt my heart sink because I saw my blue tang in that tang scratch but he hasn’t done that for months so I’d say 95% sure he’s okay. I’ve read your thread again on the 45 day fallow periods and I’m pretty confident as well as excited for my tank to be up and running again.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are pretty close to the full term, however are you certain that there are no diseases issues in the tank this fish would be coming from? Often moving a fish will cause a latent disease to start up.
Jay
Hi, I’ve just tested my water before putting fish in and saw my ammonia is 0.5ppm which is quite strange as I’ve been putting pellets in the tank every 3-4 days. I’m doing a water change now but I wanted to ask, is this a common occurrence with fallow periods? Thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve just tested my water before putting fish in and saw my ammonia is 0.5ppm which is quite strange as I’ve been putting pellets in the tank every 3-4 days. I’m doing a water change now but I wanted to ask, is this a common occurrence with fallow periods? Thank you.
What test kit are you using for ammonia? When did you last test that tank for ammonia? When you say "pellets" do you mean you were ghost feeding the tank? I typically don't do that in a fallow tank that has invertebrates in it, the bacteria can live just fine for the typical fallow period, I only ghost feed bare tanks.

Jay

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using for ammonia? When did you last test that tank for ammonia? When you say "pellets" do you mean you were ghost feeding the tank? I typically don't do that in a fallow tank that has invertebrates in it, the bacteria can live just fine for the typical fallow period, I only ghost feed bare tanks.

Jay
Hi, I’m using the API ammonia test kit and I did ghost feed the tank using pellets. I remember a few Dr Tims Aquatics Podcasts where he stressed that bacteria can live for a long time without a food source but to occasionally supplement pellets but it’s good to know they can survive that period. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m using the API ammonia test kit and I did ghost feed the tank using pellets. I remember a few Dr Tims Aquatics Podcasts where he stressed that bacteria can live for a long time without a food source but to occasionally supplement pellets but it’s good to know they can survive that period. Thanks
API ammonia kits are really prone to false positives. Do you have any other indication that there could be ammonia in your DT? You could also test some freshly mixed seawater as a comparison....

Jay

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits test for total ammonia (ammonia plus ammonium). Ammonium is harmless. You can get a test kit that only tests for ammonia (I believe Red Sea; also seachem indicator) to see if there is really an issue.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API ammonia kits are really prone to false positives. Do you have any other indication that there could be ammonia in your DT? You could also test some freshly mixed seawater as a comparison....

Jay
API test kits test for total ammonia (ammonia plus ammonium). Ammonium is harmless. You can get a test kit that only tests for ammonia (I believe Red Sea; also seachem indicator) to see if there is really an issue.
Hi,
Jay, I didn’t know that API test kits were prone to false positives. I’ll be sure to buy a better test kit in the future. The only creatures I have in my tank are a tonne of copepods, bristle worms and snails which all seem to be fine. My corals in that tank are fine as well. They aren’t quite as vibrant as they usually are. Sometimes those periods happen so it could be a coincidence I’m not sure. I’ll be sure to measure some freshly mixed water for comparison just in case it’s nothing to worry about

TastesLikeChicken, I also didn’t know that API test kits test for both which is strange as it may make people such as myself freak out when it may be nothing lol. I’ll look into the brands you suggested for that.

Thank you.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most test kits test for both. I don’t know why they make it like that either. And believe me, I went through the entire freak out phase myself before I learned this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At typical marine aquarium pH levels - enough of the ammonia will be in the toxic NH3 form that any true reading of ammonia is going to be an issue. The only saving grace is when a marine tank has a depressed pH (below 7.6 or so) then there is less of the toxic unionized NH3 present.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back