Ich, Brook or Velvet? Fatality Confirmed

What Did Zero Die From? What should Yamamoto be treated for?

• Ich

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Brook

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Velvet

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Lympho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Specific Brevity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Noob here. Long time listener first time caller.

Earlier today we had a nice service for our friend Zero. He was a good fish. RIP 12-1-22.

He was afflicted with some type of parasite my guess is Ich or Brook. I leaned towards Brook because of how he looked on death and observing both Clowns the night before. This tank has previously been treated for ich recently (which appeared to be in remission but apparently maybe not eradicated?)

Before the tank police show up I've already purchased a 32 Fluval Flex to upgrade the clowns to. This 13.5 will eventually be converted to an anemone tank once mature.

Also having some trouble identifying what are microbubbles sticking to thier mucous vs actual ich (PS2 Skimmer moved to Chamber 2 after InTank Chamber 1 Upgrade). The skimmer is no longer in use after filter upgrade on Sol 34. https://spec-tanks.com/part-5-fluval-evo-filtration-mods-and-filter-media-options/

With the possibility of Brook Yamamoto was taken out for a 7m Freshwater RO bath while I ordered RubyReef Pro. Considering Formaldehyde. QT also on order.

2.5G weekly water changes as of Sol 23
No ATO evaporation not an issue w weekly water changes

Fluval Evo 13.5
Stock LEDs
hygger / elitetech TempControllers
SpecTank CH1 Filter Upgrade
PS2 Skimmer (Not Active)
Hydor Korelia 240
Dual 40mm CPU Fans

Params:
Sol: 42
Temp: 77-78
Sp.G: 1.023
pH: 8.26
GH: 180
KH: 120
Ca: 450
No2: 0
No3: 5
Mag: Not Tested
Phos: Not Tested
Amm: Not Tested

Nutrition: 0.5 - 1.0 Cube Frozen Marine Fusion (Krill, Mysis, Brine, Squid, Algae & HUFA) every other day
.25 tsp Reef Roids once per week

Livestock:
Torch, Frogspawns, Hammers, Lobophyllia, Acan, Mantipora, Favia, Xenia, Stylophora, GSP

Inverts:
Nessarious Snail
Trochis Snail
PomPom Crab
Blood Fire Shrimp
2 Blue Legged Hermits (deceased)

Fish:
Ocellaris 1 "Yamamoto"
Ocellaris 2 "Zero" (deceased)

Medication:
PolypLab Reef Medic - 10 Day Cycle

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated!

received_1386477291759622.jpeg
received_2311083455724015.jpeg
received_864702244559308.jpeg
received_6477257922289445.jpeg
received_1578888985898024.jpeg
received_864700964974432.jpeg
received_1605667923222427.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Multiple infections are also a possibility. I see ich spots but not in such huge numbers as would cause the fish to die. Was the first fish more heavily infected?
The trouble with ich is as the disease progresses, there is more mucus and it looks more like Brooklynella.
Jay

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure more fish disease experts will chime in soon, but I'm leaning toward Brooklynella by the appearance, fast death, and high likely hood in damsel species.

Edit: LOL....before I can hit send, @Jay Hemdal swooped in to save the day!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure more fish disease experts will chime in soon, but I'm leaning toward Brooklynella by the appearance, fast death, and high likely hood in damsel species.

Edit: LOL....before I can hit send, @Jay Hemdal swooped in to save the day!
A short video would help I think.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its brooklynella. The slime and lesions from face to back suggest it versus ich or velvet.

OP
OP
Specific Brevity

Specific Brevity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

Yamamoto is in bad shape this morning hes looking very similar to Zero right after he died yesterday.

Treated with ReefMedic this morning and it looks like a few of the ich type dots fell off but he has significant color loss. Not sure if the other was more heavily infected in a 13.5 I'm assuming they're going to share any parasites like french fries.

Should I try another RO Fresh Dip 5-10m?

I'm also thinking about doing another 2.5G water change. Couldn't hurt right?

Also attempted to feed this morning via syringe, soaking in Kent XTreme Garlic as part of the ich treatment to boost immunity. Little interest in feeding but the inverts were hungry. Honestly I would be surprised if he made it through the weekend at this point he's continually moving his mouth but not circling the top of the water line but fair to say he is stressed.

Is there anything else I should do until the RubyReef Pro arrives?

I can order 37% form but it's not getting here until the 10th and my 2 go-to LFS do not carry.

A short video would help I think.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

Yamamoto is in bad shape this morning hes looking very similar to Zero right after he died yesterday.

Treated with ReefMedic this morning and it looks like a few of the ich type dots fell off but he has significant color loss. Not sure if the other was more heavily infected in a 13.5 I'm assuming they're going to share any parasites like french fries.

Also attempted to feed this morning via syringe, soaking in Kent XTreme Garlic as part of the ich treatment to boost immunity. Little interest in feeding but the inverts were hungry. Honestly I would be surprised if he made it through the weekend at this point he's continually moving his mouth but not circling the top of the water line but fair to say he is stressed.

I can order 37% form but it's not getting here until the 10th and my 2 go-to LFS do not carry.
I cannot see the video. Given the history and your (normal) parameters, the quickness of the illness to me suggests it's brooklynella + Ich (Which may have weakened the fish). My guess is (sorry if you said it already) - the Ich medication you used in the tank were not effective since you have corals in the tank - it wouldn't have been copper. Velvet would be a possibility as well - because this can also cause thickening of the mucus much like brook - and also kills quickly.

Sorry about the loss of your fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

I see more Brooklynella in this video. A five minute FW dip may buy you more time, don't go longer than that though. You can do the FW dips daily with no problem, and you might be able to get away with two times a day.

Jay

OP
OP
Specific Brevity

Specific Brevity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see more Brooklynella in this video. A five minute FW dip may buy you more time, don't go longer than that though. You can do the FW dips daily with no problem, and you might be able to get away with two times a day.

Jay
This is helpful I was curious if I could do multiple dips until the meds arrive.

Your note about multiple infections reminded me that the pictures don't do a great job presenting all of the ich spots there (were) definitely more at the time the pictures were taken. I dont see as much this morning. For whatever reason they seem to break out around lights out (usually around 9/10pm). He was covered in them this morning until I dropped in a little ReefMedic.

New pictures as of 1020 PST

received_537690915040137.jpeg
received_805371687229857.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back