Ich, Brook, Velvet, something else??!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my 10g hospital is waaaay to small...can this be done in a brute trashcan? Of course, then I wouldn't be able to see them as well. Crap. Any suggestions?
I used a Lowe's bucket short term. Go to Craigslist or Offerup and see if you can find a bargain tank.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my 10g hospital is waaaay to small...can this be done in a brute trashcan? Of course, then I wouldn't be able to see them as well. Crap. Any suggestions?

So long as whatever the material is won't leech chemicals, absorb your meds, and has sufficient size and volume, then it will be just fine to use, if not the prettiest thing in the world.

I currently have an eel living in a heavy duty plastic tote for the last almost 8 weeks now. Bit of an opposite situation, I'm keeping it away from the copper, but don't see why it wouldn't work in reverse.

If you're willing to put in the effort, you can also stash your rock, sand and any corals/inverts in a bin and treat your now empty display, using pvc fittings for the fish to hide in. Not exactly ideal, but would give your fish ample room during the treatment and subsequent fallow period.

DSC_0593.JPG

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as whatever the material is won't leech chemicals, absorb your meds, and has sufficient size and volume, then it will be just fine to use, if not the prettiest thing in the world.

I currently have an eel living in a heavy duty plastic tote for the last almost 8 weeks now. Bit of an opposite situation, I'm keeping it away from the copper, but don't see why it wouldn't work in reverse.

If you're willing to put in the effort, you can also stash your rock, sand and any corals/inverts in a bin and treat your now empty display, using pvc fittings for the fish to hide in. Not exactly ideal, but would give your fish ample room during the treatment and subsequent fallow period.

DSC_0593.JPG
I may just go get a large storage bin to do this in. I've seen it done this way before. There's no way I'm pulling all the rock/corals/sand out of there - that will be last resort. Though, catching my Royal Gramma and my Jester Goby is gonna be a lesson in patience im afraid.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just go get a large storage bin to do this in. I've seen it done this way before. There's no way I'm pulling all the rock/corals/sand out of there - that will be last resort. Though, catching my Royal Gramma and my Jester Goby is gonna be a lesson in patience im afraid.

My only caution is some plastic can weaken with exposure to saltwater, so put it in a place where a leak can be easily noticed and not deal much damage. My bin there sprung a leak a couple weeks ago from a hairline crack. Patched it and doubled binned it. Been fine so far.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only caution is some plastic can weaken with exposure to saltwater, so put it in a place where a leak can be easily noticed and not deal much damage. My bin there sprung a leak a couple weeks ago from a hairline crack. Patched it and doubled binned it. Been fine so far.
Thanks for sharing that! I wouldn't have thought to double'm up, but makes sense.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are also the sides will bulge out, unless you buy a seriously heavy duty container, which I'm sure doesn't help the durability issue. What I did was cut holes in the lid for a light, and used it as a sort of brace. Worked quite well, and supports the light.
Wish you the best of luck. These diseases suck and are a real pain in the behind.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like Brooklynella to me...and common with Clowns. I see from an earlier post some directed you already to a good Brooklynella thread about treatment. You want to move quickly...Brook can kill pretty quickly.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like Brooklynella to me...and common with Clowns. I see from an earlier post some directed you already to a good Brooklynella thread about treatment. You want to move quickly...Brook can kill pretty quickly.
So I moved both clowns into the 10g hospital last night and medicated with API General Cure as that's all I have right now. I've order some more meds. This morning they look a little better, about to see if they'll eat...

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 24hrs after 1st dose of API GC and the big clown has gotten worse.
20200604_224736.jpg

Not sure what to do. I picked up another 20gal tank and some cupramine today. I'm not so sure she can handle copper treatment at this point tho. The smaller clown is in there with her and his symptoms have vanished. He's eating and color is back, looks great. I don't know what to do with him at this point either....

And to top it all off, I discovered I have/had aptaisia on the shell of a snell I got a few weeks ago from WWC. Scrub your snails folks!!

To say the least, this has been my least favorite week in this hobby so far - of course, all self-inflicted which makes it worse.

Geeez.

Any recs as to treatment at this point would be helpful. She hasn't died so brook and velvet seem unlikely as they supposedly kill quickly. The remaining 3 fish in display all have it, but are still acting fine and eating - just with whitespots. I now have 3 aquariums. 1 100gal display. 1 20gal hospital and 1 10gal hospital. I need a plan and fast.

Fish:
2 clowns
Yellow tang small
Royal gramma med
Court jester goby small

I pulled the snail with aptaisia out of course, guess ill get to deal with that later...

Ugh.
20200604_224614.jpg
20200604_224759.jpg
Screenshot_20200604-154121_Gallery.jpg
20200604_153751.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the new pictures you can see little spots all over him. I would start copper asap. Also consider doing a freshwater dip to give him some relief. Both clowns would need to go through 30 days in copper even though you said only the one is showing signs, but if he has it, so does the other one.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new pictures you can see little spots all over him. I would start copper asap. Also consider doing a freshwater dip to give him some relief. Both clowns would need to go through 30 days in copper even though you said only the one is showing signs, but if he has it, so does the other one.
I did the freshwater dip for 5 min on the larger, presenting clown. I didn't on the snaller one with no symptoms. They are both still alive this morning, 48hrs after General cure. So I think I'm gonna run some carbon to clean that out and start copper later today. The large clown looks like she is on the brink today...not really moving and breathing heavily.

Thanks for the input!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the freshwater dip for 5 min on the larger, presenting clown. I didn't on the snaller one with no symptoms. They are both still alive this morning, 48hrs after General cure. So I think I'm gonna run some carbon to clean that out and start copper later today. The large clown looks like she is on the brink today...not really moving and breathing heavily.

Thanks for the input!

:( Fingers crossed. FW dip may buy you some time and provide the much needed relief. It can be repeated the following day if you want. Typically you want to ramp up copper dose, but you may be a bit short on time. I would still try to bring the levels up to therapeutic over 24-48 hours if you can.

Also, you cannot use ammonia detoxifiers like prime with Cupermine, so the only way to manage ammonia is with WC. When doing a WC, make sure you dose the incoming water with Cupermine to therapeutic levels prior to adding it to QT. Do you have a Hanna copper checker? It's fairly easy to overdo Cupermine due to its low therapeutic levels (one of the many reasons I prefer chelated copper like Copper Power).

If you aren't doing daily water changes, get a Seachem ammonia badge to measure free ammonia as standard kits will not work.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( Fingers crossed. FW dip may buy you some time and provide the much needed relief. It can be repeated the following day if you want. Typically you want to ramp up copper dose, but you may be a bit short on time. I would still try to bring the levels up to therapeutic over 24-48 hours if you can.

Also, you cannot use ammonia detoxifiers like prime with Cupermine, so the only way to manage ammonia is with WC. When doing a WC, make sure you dose the incoming water with Cupermine to therapeutic levels prior to adding it to QT. Do you have a Hanna copper checker? It's fairly easy to overdo Cupermine due to its low therapeutic levels (one of the many reasons I prefer chelated copper like Copper Power).

If you aren't doing daily water changes, get a Seachem ammonia badge to measure free ammonia as standard kits will not work.
So, I have the ammonia badge already in place. To get the QT up and running I used fritz turbostart and some bioballs. Sounds like that needs to come out? I read @Humblefish 's info on treating with copper and will intend to follow those guidelines.

I dont have any copper testing capacity yet. I've order hanna checker from brs but it won't be here until next week. I have no local fish store that carries much, basically a petsmart with zero saltwater stuff and very limited test kits. Crap.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back