OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people SAY they removed the copper and add corals but never tried it myself. It is risky. I personally would not do it.

I would just buy a bunch of large rubbermade or brute containers which are cheap and treat the fish in there.

I removed all my fish once and QT my fish in a 80g rubbermade that I cycled with Biospira (and a canister filter I had). I let my tank sit fishless for 45 days at 82 degrees. It was a success for me.
I gave away filters and 75 gal aquariums cause I had no room. Went with custom cause of filtration issues. But my friend never used it so I’ll do the same. Any tips on catching fish. How much water minimum in tank. Mesh or plastic?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away filters and 75 gal aquariums cause I had no room. Went with custom cause of filtration issues. But my friend never used it so I’ll do the same. Any tips on catching fish. How much water minimum in tank. Mesh or plastic?
Im scared I’ll stress the fish catching them

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to avoid it. But seems like majority is saying get the fish out and treat fish in multiple containers. Let the tank fallow? Btw I was looking this word up and it’s a farming technique for land...
Like the soil, fallow refers to keeping places empty from certain things for a set number of time. For farming, it’s to improve the fertility in soil. So fallow means avoid planting anything in the land.

In our case, fallow means letting a tank go fishless. These parasites can only survive off fish. Without the host, they will starve to death.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im scared I’ll stress the fish catching them

draining the tank makes them easier to catch. When I did it, I removed my rock into a tub that I had drained the DT into.

You will definitely stress them and even probably have losses in the QT. Especially the visibly sick ones. But not much you can do. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away filters and 75 gal aquariums cause I had no room. Went with custom cause of filtration issues. But my friend never used it so I’ll do the same. Any tips on catching fish. How much water minimum in tank. Mesh or
That’s better than the stress of parasites Sucking their blood.
I’ll try and coral them on the right side where there is only one huge shelf. Don’t know how though. Hopefully without breaking it. Any advise what’s the easiest and fastest way to catch them?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
draining the tank makes them easier to catch. When I did it, I removed my rock into a tub that I had drained the DT into.

You will definitely stress them and even probably have losses in the QT. Especially the visibly sick ones. But not much you can do. Hindsight is 20/20 as they s

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gotta break my whole aqua scape? Or at least partially because it’s so wide?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will definitely stress them and even probably have losses in the QT. Especially the visibly sick ones. But not much you can do. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say
Does red light and nighttime really help?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, this is my nightmare and I thought I had it at one point, long story short I didn't, but I had ruby reef on hand weeks before I noticed dots and tail biting on my blenny (again, it was sand and a nervous tick he does when others eat "his" food. And I dosed the tank making it look like a toxic spill.

I've heard good things about hydrogen peroxide, and now I dose it as a preventive and dino killer, but it might be too late for a management approach for you.

I wonder if anyone has had experience letting the tank cool down to make the fish slower and easier to catch? Or would that just hasten their demise?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, this is my nightmare and I thought I had it at one point, long story short I didn't, but I had ruby reef on hand weeks before I noticed dots and tail biting on my blenny (again, it was sand and a nervous tick he does when others eat "his" food. And I dosed the tank making it look like a toxic spill.

I've heard good things about hydrogen peroxide, and now I dose it as a preventive and dino killer, but it might be too late for a management approach for you.

I wonder if anyone has had experience letting the tank cool down to make the fish slower and easier to catch? Or would that just hasten their demise?
I had it around 77 and now slowly getting it up with all windows open also to increase ph. They say close to 82 is best but risky for fish Should be easier with summer over and acs off

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it around 77 and now slowly getting it up with all windows open also to increase ph. They say close to 82 is best but risky for fish Should be easier with summer over and acs off
So snails, crabs and corals stay in aquarium or they can carry deseases and must be all dipped and quarantined from ich and or velvet?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher temps lower available oxygen and if they are already struggling to breathe it could be worse from them.

I've delt with freshwater velvet before and bumped temps, but that ended up making it worse.
So snails, crabs and corals stay in aquarium or they can carry deseases and must be all dipped and quarantined from ich and or velvet?
They stay in the tank, dipping does nothing to the tomont/encrusted stage.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Plus they’ll offer support.
Forgot to ask how long do I have once I start draining the water? In terms of no flow or no water circulation? Debating on removing at least some of the rock in case plan a gonna go south. Problem is it’s all standing on 3 rocks which are silicones to glass and balances on fiber sticks and a bunch of glue and more silicone. If it starts swinging sideways. I already had so many close calls. And top glass braces are 8 inches wide and there are 4 of them. Plus cabinets blocking 12 inches of entire back tank. So half the tank is blocked by glass bracing and half in cabinets. Complete nightmare in this case. I wasn’t planning on taking it apart

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is bad long term, but is good for a immunity boost.
By the way I read similar article about dog food where coloring is for us not for cats/dogs it’s actually really bad for them.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I read similar article about dog food where coloring is for us not for cats/dogs it’s actually really bad for them.
Well yeah, fake coloring is bad for us too!

Garlic is like iron and zinc to us, it's good for you, but if you take large doses every day, it's going to make you very sick, but if you have sick fish, they could use a boost, once they are healthy, an occasional helping of garlic is fine, but not every day.

Back