Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
843F8162-5916-402D-883A-77615D33632F.jpeg

Your QT is not next to your DT, right?

Hope that rubbermade holds together! I use the ones from tractor supplies that are made to hold water for livestock.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already dipped him then I would not again. I generally keep dips 3-4 days apart.

Velvet moves fast and copper takes time to work. I am not kidding when I say often people lose the fish to velvet before the meds even get a chance to kick in :(
Good morning. Flame angel and all tangs except blond naso didn’t make it. The rest seem to be ok. I’m pretty sure where I got this velvet. So it really doesn't matter where you buy your fish from. Because no one can guarantee 100% velvet and ich free fish, high turnaround and multiple vendors prolly makes it impossible and that’s why they all have copper in their water because they can never be 100% desease free. It’ll take a lot more work and room. Or I’m wrong?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already dipped him then I would not again. I generally keep dips 3-4 days apart.

Velvet moves fast and copper takes time to work. I am not kidding when I say often people lose the fish to velvet before the meds even get a chance to kick in

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Flame angel and all tangs except blond naso didn’t make it. The rest seem to be ok. I’m pretty sure where I got this velvet. So it really doesn't matter where you buy your fish from. Because no one can guarantee 100% velvet and ich free fish, high turnaround and multiple vendors prolly makes it impossible and that’s why they all have copper in their water because they can never be 100% desease free. It’ll take a lot more work and room. Or I’m wrong?
Sorry you lost them.

What will take more work?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I’m asking I don’t know what to do now. So I wanna replace the dead fish and not sure how to proceed. Should I replace tangs now and let them join quarantine? Or it’ll be smarter to let this quarantine finish. And start another one right after for tangs and fire angel or start another 20 gal simultaneously? Is it ok to treat new fish with copper as a precaution or you’re not supposed to do that?

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. I would hold off on restocking, as frustrating as it is, and continue the treatment and fallow period as discussed throughout the thread. You may want to also take the opportunity to setup a more permanent hospital / QT tank, as problems will arise over time, despite using best practices. Just my personal experience. I believe it was suggested in the thread, but buying QT'd fish from retailers like @tsmaquatics and then putting them in an observation tank for 14 days would also limit outbreaks in the DT. I waited 90 days before adding fish after my first bout with ich. Hope this helps.

Ed

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I’m asking I don’t know what to do now. So I wanna replace the dead fish and not sure how to proceed. Should I replace tangs now and let them join quarantine? Or it’ll be smarter to let this quarantine finish. And start another one right after for tangs and fire angel or start another 20 gal simultaneously? Is it ok to treat new fish with copper as a precaution or you’re not supposed to do that?

No you should not buy tangs and expose them to a new QT tank with sick fish and crowding.

Take it slow and you will find more success.

Ideally you want a cycled QT that has been running awhile. What you are doing now is emergency. Ideally you want to QT only a few fish at a time and spread out additions.

Some do treat all fish with copper.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should not buy tangs and expose them to a new QT tank with sick fish and crowding.

Take it slow and you will find more success.

Ideally you want a cycled QT that has been running awhile. What you are doing now is emergency. Ideally you want to QT only a few fish at a time and spread out additions.

Some do treat all fish with copper.
I’m not rushing anymore. Way to painful and costly. I’m worried taking too long to add tangs so naso won’t be too established and dominant. Also adding powder brown and blue is very risky so pick one?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not rushing anymore. Way to painful and costly. I’m worried taking too long to add tangs so naso won’t be too established and dominant. Also adding powder brown and blue is very risky so pick one?
Yes pick one.

Use large acclimation boxes and large mirrors when adding new tangs.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see tangs as Petri dishes, Healthy, tough fish can ward off bugs so Ich and other things can be in the system with little or no issues, but the tang with it's stress and bad immune system allows the bugs to grow their numbers until they overwhelm even the toughest, healthiest fish.

They are consistently the first fish to become ill.

If it was me, keep the surviving tang, and look at other options.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see tangs as Petri dishes, Healthy, tough fish can ward off bugs so Ich and other things can be in the system with little or no issues, but the tang with it's stress and bad immune system allows the bugs to grow their numbers until they overwhelm even the toughest, healthiest fish.

They are consistently the first fish to become ill.

If it was me, keep the surviving tang, and look at other options.
Other options? You mean other fish and no more tangs?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pick one.

Use large acclimation boxes and large mirrors when adding new tangs.
But if you don’t quarantine new fish with copper as a preventative how else can be 100% sure you’re not introducing velvet and or ich like I just did. I’m afraid to go through this again and wanna be 100% this time and not roll the dice again

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you don’t quarantine new fish with copper as a preventative how else can be 100% sure you’re not introducing velvet and or ich like I just did. I’m afraid to go through this again and wanna be 100% this time and not roll the dice again

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is known to be very, very good, Divers den is known to be good too, but maybe slightly more risky than TSM.

Absolutely, positively is nothing 100% except for death and taxes.

I would buy pre-quarantined fish and place them in a 100% sterile QT tank for 14 days and dunk them in DT if they are healthy if you are worried.

But the second you put a non-QT fish, snail or coral in your tank, or even cross-contaminate buckets, nets or other gear, you are no longer 100% safe.

I have bought QT fish and non-QT coral (from a well regarded vendor) and inverts from reef cleaners and put them right in the tank, but I also have meds on hand, UV, Ozone, dose H202 and look every fish over every day, ready to act if something happens.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way my powder blue was most aggressive and couldn’t care less about mirrors on both sides and he was newest one. He bullied everyone especially brown who was twice his size but very sick. Are all powder blues big bully’s or you just gotta get lucky? My tank isn’t small. 91x21x21 it’s fully connected through branches and shelves so that could be a problem it seems like all one big reef or I have a ton of negative space plus a bunch of shells to act as caves and I should be fine?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is known to be very, very good, Divers den is known to be good too, but maybe slightly more risky than TSM.

Absolutely, positively is nothing 100% except for death and taxes.

I would buy pre-quarantined fish and place them in a 100% sterile QT tank for 14 days and dunk them in DT if they are healthy if you are worried.

But the second you put a non-QT fish, snail or coral in your tank, or even cross-contaminate buckets, nets or other gear, you are no longer 100% safe.

I have bought QT fish and non-QT coral (from a well regarded vendor) and inverts from reef cleaners and put them right in the tank, but I also have meds on hand, UV, Ozone, dose H202 and look every fish over every day, ready to act if something happens.
Tank is in my kitchen so I stare at it a lot. Especially when fish were in it :(

Back