Ich, bubbles, spots, scratching on sand powder brown tang

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way my powder blue was most aggressive and couldn’t care less about mirrors on both sides and he was newest one. He bullied everyone especially brown who was twice his size but very sick. Are all powder blues big bully’s or you just gotta get lucky? My tank isn’t small. 91x21x21 it’s fully connected through branches and shelves so that could be a problem it seems like all one big reef or I have a ton of negative space plus a bunch of shells to act as caves and I should be fine?
Places to hide work well, but if the agressor can follow, he might chase and chase and chase.

All fish have individual personalities, so guides online are just examples of "typical" specimens.

I have a "peaceful" Mcosker Wrasse bully my Midas eveytime I watch the tank without feeding them, my other "peaceful and max 2.5 inch" 4 inch linespot Wrasse thankfully puts that wrasse in his place.

In FW tanks, I've had Tiger barbs be class act citizens and get bullied by lamp eye tetras.

So again, nothing is 100% especially with "reef safe"

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m ashamed and depressed when I’m near it
Don't be, crap happens, there is a huge, HUGE learning curve and it took me 2 YEARS of reading and watching and asking before I finally filled my tank with water- and I'm STILL learning as I go.

It's a harsh lesson and a spirit breaker, but you now are armed with experience. Take it slow and it will be fine.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost them.

What will take more work?
Well by more work I meant they have to spend a lot more time and money to quarantine and observe all new arrivals. Eliminating outbreaks requires more space for tanks plus additional equip, costs etc

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! But that's just me.
I’m definitely getting yellow, hippo and purple when this is over. They were all model citizens. Possibly brown he was my fav. And anthias down the road. Only one left. Now that I have a few months to do some research. Anything else you gotta watch out for besides ich, velvet and flukes?

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be, crap happens, there is a huge, HUGE learning curve and it took me 2 YEARS of reading and watching and asking before I finally filled my tank with water- and I'm STILL learning as I go.

It's a harsh lesson and a spirit breaker, but you now are armed with experience. Take it slow and it will be fine.
Thank you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way my powder blue was most aggressive and couldn’t care less about mirrors on both sides and he was newest one. He bullied everyone especially brown who was twice his size but very sick. Are all powder blues big bully’s or you just gotta get lucky? My tank isn’t small. 91x21x21 it’s fully connected through branches and shelves so that could be a problem it seems like all one big reef or I have a ton of negative space plus a bunch of shells to act as caves and I should be fine?

Here is a article about tang aggression and if you look at the list, generally #1 most meanest fish is a power blue followed by a brown. Naso is actually generally a gentle giant.

Mixing MANY tangs is actually an advanced thing... reason is aggression, stress, disease, and you may need to catch and remove and replace individual fish (which is often no easy task to catch them) as some fish just do not work out no matter what. Which means finding homes for that fish and trying again and so on.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you don’t quarantine new fish with copper as a preventative how else can be 100% sure you’re not introducing velvet and or ich like I just did. I’m afraid to go through this again and wanna be 100% this time and not roll the dice again

I am saying after QT... that is how you introduce them.

You don't need to buy and ADD them all at once. You can add say 2-3 at a time. Get your yellow and purple at the same time for instance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saying after QT... that is how you introduce them.

You don't need to buy and ADD them all at once. You can add say 2-3 at a time. Get your yellow and purple at the same time for instance.
Hi. Got it. I forgot to ask about my diamond watchman goby. Since he doesn’t have any sand to sift is he gonna be ok for a few month. Or I gotta take him out or add sand? Thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Got it. I forgot to ask about my diamond watchman goby. Since he doesn’t have any sand to sift is he gonna be ok for a few month. Or I gotta take him out or add sand? Thanks

Mine ate prepared just fine. Does he eat? I would target feed him.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate prepared just fine. Does he eat? I would target feed him.
I can’t really tell cause of black high toat and air bubbles. I think he does, he’s moving around. I’ll try target feeding. What do you mean prepared? Like diy? I feed krill, brine and seaweed for rabit and tang. Used to hatch brine and feed eggs but it’s prolly not a good idea now. What do you think. Oh and What should I feed my 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 fire and a bunch of crabs and snails now that I’m not feeding fish. Just corals. Or that should be enough. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can’t really tell cause of black high toat and air bubbles. I think he does, he’s moving around. I’ll try target feeding. What do you mean prepared? Like diy? I feed krill, brine and seaweed for rabit and tang. Used to hatch brine and feed eggs but it’s prolly not a good idea now. What do you think. Oh and What should I feed my 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 fire and a bunch of crabs and snails now that I’m not feeding fish. Just corals. Or that should be enough. Thanks
Step up on diet. Typical foods are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to feed better. LRS reef frenzy pretty much gold standard for your fish and shrimp. Then nori for the tangs/herbivores also.
Agree to feed better. LRS reef frenzy pretty much gold standard for your fish and shrimp. Then nori for the tangs/herbivores also.
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was good on food.
D8DB1A4D-B37E-43F3-B117-3D3DFF3BBE9D.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

I can’t seem to stop over feeding. Most of the people say feed as long as they eat for 5 minutes. Is there anyway to gauge food amount by fish size or some solid numbers. It’s definitely better to overfeed prolly so that’s my problem. Also was wondering what’s a max safe amonia level in my sand less and rock less qt? I did Prime and Stability. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can’t seem to stop over feeding. Most of the people say feed as long as they eat for 5 minutes. Is there anyway to gauge food amount by fish size or some solid numbers. It’s definitely better to overfeed prolly so that’s my problem. Also was wondering what’s a max safe amonia level in my sand less and rock less qt? I did Prime and Stability. Thanks
consumed 1-2 minutes. Easier to add a little than to remove it

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whatever they eat after few minutes isn’t good for them and that’s my mistake? They always seem hungry and I figured just like kids they gotta eat more lol

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back