Ich but im not worried

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why, because i know my tank has ick and everytime the new healthy arrival and current habitats beat this thing.
I won't do anything and they just beat it. No deaths ever.. anyone else have this happening?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why, because i know my tank has ick and everytime the new healthy arrival and current habitats beat this thing.
I won't do anything and they just beat it. No deaths ever.. anyone else have this happening?
Can you provide pics to confirm ich?
Generally when ich goes away, it comes back in numbers unless you beat the life cycle which is possible

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is possibly, but i will quarantine no mater what! knowing that i have several thousand of dollars invested in fish, I wont rick the bypassing quarantine on new fish. just not worth it.

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is possibly, but i will quarantine no mater what! knowing that i have several thousand of dollars invested in fish, I wont rick the bypassing quarantine on new fish. just not worth it.
I only buy fish from people that have had their fish for a long time. My 12 fish are active and healthy. New fish gets ich then it goes away and all is fine.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the thread by @Paul B

He takes a lot of flack for his opinion but he has reported similar experience perhaps?

My blue tang has spots for the last few days, I bring stranger fishes home and dump them in my tanks and the blue tang is one I rescued from aLFS with obvious skin issues but he has been with me for three or four years, no medication just good real foods.

my most recent add was a sick copperband. The lfs ordered it special for a customer who changed their mind. The fish had lymphocystis and other skin issues that made it look like it was going to die quickly. I dumped it in my garage reef with few fishes and a ton of aiptasia.

The lfs was amazed that it is still alive. I’m happy it lived and I want to move it to another aiptasia tank but I have not been able to catch it, it swims to fast now. I hand caught it at the lfs…

I agree that these methods may cause new fish keepers to stumble so I don’t get on the soapbox much, I let Paul handle the situation since he’s a vet and used to combat.
Oohrah!

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over Half of the Mature tanks that I know and Envy have Ick present and it's not an issue.

There are levels to it. Lots of variables, and not something to freak out about.
I agree. See ich is gone and I did nothing but let the tang thrive eat and have a healthy tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most certainly. In particular introducing Royal grammas, IME they are itch magnets and I have had many over the years including 4 in the one tank a few years back.

More often than not they would have white spot by the following day, scratching on the rocks and sand. However,with 36 hours all spots would be gone and no more scratching. None of my other fish works show any signs of itch either during this period or after.

I have never QTd any fish since starring this hobby over 40 years ago and never lost a fish to itch in over 30 years and that's buying fush from many different FLSs.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know its strange as some of us think the complete opposit and won't risk our fish by putting them in QT it just not worth it to us. However whatever you believe works for you.

Last edited:

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know its strange as some of us think the complete opposit and won't risk our fish by putting them in QT it just not worth it to us. However whatever you believe works for you.
Respect to you for not losing fish to ick.
Most of my fish was purchased through live aquaria back in a day, with free shipping and 14 day garante, so not really taking risk on quarantine a fish.
...But tell me honestly, would you go and tell a new tank owner to go ahead and drop a fish strait from a store into display tank? I mean ick yeah, good chance of fighting off naturally IN Healthy/Mature tank. Which most new tanks are no where near that, 7 out of 10 new tank owners will have a fish in tank before a tank is even fully cycled.
...But what about velvet, brook, uroema, things that going to wipe tank down in days. You think a new reefer is knowledgeable enough to spot a sick fish in a store?
I know It wasn't the case for me when I started, for me it was a combination of tank not mature plus ick and velvet problems that I would say in first 12 month I lost about 10-15 fish in my fist year. So yeah, I would definitely still quarantine new fish, and I would suggest to any one to quarantine new fish. Its simple ignorance and gamble not to.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect to you for not losing fish to ick.
Most of my fish was purchased through live aquaria back in a day, with free shipping and 14 day garante, so not really taking risk on quarantine a fish.
...But tell me honestly, would you go and tell a new tank owner to go ahead and drop a fish strait from a store into display tank? I mean ick yeah, good chance of fighting off naturally IN Healthy/Mature tank. Which most new tanks are no where near that, 7 out of 10 new tank owners will have a fish in tank before a tank is even fully cycled.
...But what about velvet, brook, uroema, things that going to wipe tank down in days. You think a new reefer is knowledgeable enough to spot a sick fish in a store?
I know It wasn't the case for me when I started, for me it was a combination of tank not mature plus ick and velvet problems that I would say in first 12 month I lost about 10-15 fish in my fist year. So yeah, I would definitely still quarantine new fish, and I would suggest to any one to quarantine new fish. Its simple ignorance and gamble not to.
Know I wouldn't tell them to do that. Why? Because during the first years of my marine keeping my fish would get ick until I discovered the experts of the day were wrong.
I know little of the other diseases you mention having never come across them in any of my tanks in over 40 years. Chances are it's extremely likely I have introduced at least some of those diseases but they have never been able to take a hold on my fish. Now that's controversial I know but it is what it is and I don't get issues with newly introduced fish spreading disease in the tanks I have had.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back