Ich Confirmation

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and noticed my kole tang had some white spots. I've had it since december of last year and it never showed any signs of sickness or disease, neither did any of it's tank mates. I'm assuming the ich (i'm assuming) must have hitchhiked in on some corals from a friend sometime last week. Just wanted to confirm I am dealing with ich before I try and catch all my fish and setup quarantine tank(s).

IMG_6198.jpg
IMG_6203.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does appear to be ich. Start up a quarantine tank with good oxygen and treat with copper power at minimum- 1.9 on a copper test kit

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does appear to be ich. Start up a quarantine tank with good oxygen and treat with copper power at minimum- 1.9 on a copper test kit
Well now I’m a little confused because all the white spots are gone. I know eventually they drop off the fish but only after a day seems a little odd. Going to go ahead with QT setup but seems a little weird

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well now I’m a little confused because all the white spots are gone. I know eventually they drop off the fish but only after a day seems a little odd. Going to go ahead with QT setup but seems a little weird
two things can explain it:
Could be sand if any was suspended.

My guess- Trophants/cysts generally fall off fish to recycle/reproduce and appear in larger numbers. Its the adults you see with the naked eye

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a wrasse in the tank who loves to randomly kick up sand. My foxface, wrasse, clown and chromis seem unaffected so far but I’m monitoring closely. My tang has been known to squeeze itself into all kinds of tight spaces so there is a chance it’s also sand.

Back