Ich develops DURING Copper Power?

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some purple tangs from my LFS and went straight into QT. I’ve been treating with 2.5ppt Copper Power since December 3. No signs of ich or other diseases I could see.

About a week ago I noticed what looked like fuzzy spots on them - I’m presuming it’s Lymph. I upped my water changes and it seems to be getting better.

there’s still white spots, but just in case it is ich - can ich survive in copper to begin with? No ich when I got them; no signs of ich for 2.5 weeks or so. If ich was on them when I received them - wouldn’t it have shown earlier?

but more importantly - can ich survive in the water column with Cooper Power at 2.5ppt? (Hanna verified)

I was going to ease them off the copper and just keep them in QT - but now I don’t know whether I should just keep them in copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some purple tangs from my LFS and went straight into QT. I’ve been treating with 2.5ppt Copper Power since December 3. No signs of ich or other diseases I could see.

About a week ago I noticed what looked like fuzzy spots on them - I’m presuming it’s Lymph. I upped my water changes and it seems to be getting better.

there’s still white spots, but just in case it is ich - can ich survive in copper to begin with? No ich when I got them; no signs of ich for 2.5 weeks or so. If ich was on them when I received them - wouldn’t it have shown earlier?

but more importantly - can ich survive in the water column with Cooper Power at 2.5ppt? (Hanna verified)

I was going to ease them off the copper and just keep them in QT - but now I don’t know whether I should just keep them in copper?
Can you post a picture?
When I hear of ich surviving in copper, it is almost always associated with test inaccuracy - unlikely here since you have a Hanna.
It could be Lymphocystis, but tangs also can produce white mucus plugs as a reaction to copper. These spots are larger, don’t show much on the fins, and tend to stay in the same location day to day.
Jay

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your copper question. Copper at 2.50pm is effective against eradicating the parasite, but meds can't fall below or the clock starts over. I know copper power has a larger range of therapeutic levels from 2.0 - 2.5 but I hold mine closer to 2.6ppm just to be safe.

Make sure you add copper into the freshly made saltwater prior to conducting your water change, that often causes an improper QT. If you are confident copper was administered properly, then you can technically place the fish into a sterile tank after 14 days but if you're using the same tank, you need to hold off for 30 days before you ease them off copper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - been monitoring the copper levels the whole time and I also pre mix + test new water going in during water changes. Maintained 2.49-2.55 in the tank the whole time.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - been monitoring the copper levels the whole time and I also pre mix + test new water going in during water changes. Maintained 2.49-2.55 in the tank the whole time.
Any pictures or video under white light ?

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for low quality photo - not great of glass to shoot pics through.

Attachments

• 967AB382-ED7C-408B-B87C-41EDF6D49479.jpeg
    967AB382-ED7C-408B-B87C-41EDF6D49479.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 70
  • A521F690-28C1-4B48-AEE4-7D54ECC99EFC.jpeg
    A521F690-28C1-4B48-AEE4-7D54ECC99EFC.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 74

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ich in my opinion, it looks like lymph or excess mucus and HLLE. Have you treated for flukes?

Distributing any strange behavior, like excessive yawning, flashing, scratching, etc?

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ich in my opinion, it looks like lymph or excess mucus and HLLE. Have you treated for flukes?

Distributing any strange behavior, like excessive yawning, flashing, scratching, etc?
I was going to do a Prazipro regimen after I finished with the copper. I know you can technically combine the two - but I think there’s already a lot going on with just the copper. I was going to water change out the copper water and start it then.
No strange behavior. Eating fine. Swimming around the QT tank all day.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a Prazipro regimen after I finished with the copper. I know you can technically combine the two - but I think there’s already a lot going on with just the copper. I was going to water change out the copper water and start it then.
No strange behavior. Eating fine. Swimming around the QT tank all day.
By the sounds of it has been over 30 days at therapeutic level between 2.49 - 2.55ppm. If so you are good to start removing all the copper and start your 2 rounds prazipro 7 days apart w/ 25% water change between doses. Its a sign good that they are showing any other symptoms.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back