Ich disappeared over night after ich-x

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got 3 tangs out to qt them and dosed ich x yesterday woke up this morning and there isn’t a single spot! Is there a chance it wasn’t ich and maybe something in the water from dt was causing white ich like spots on body and fins?? Completely stumped surely ich-x wouldn’t work that fast right? I mean they look brand new...

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you review some of the threads in the fish disease fourm. It will help answer your questions in more detail.

Short to the point summary:
Ich has a life cycle on and off the fish. The ich is not gone or dead yet. The cyst might of fallen off, but that is also part of its life cycle. I am afraid if you DT has other fish in it currently your system has potential to contain ich until it is fish less for a significant amount of time. Some fish can fight off the ich but it still exists and with the thin slime coat of tangs it is very possible they will get it again once returning to the DT.

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a similar question, have a Kole it had white spots on it in QT. Treated tank with copper/prazipro... spots disappeared after the first few days. Interested to see what the response is...

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a similar question, have a Kole it had white spots on it in QT. Treated tank with copper/prazipro... spots disappeared after the first few days. Interested to see what the response is...

How long was the copper treatment? what type of copper? Chelated or Ionic? What levels where they steady at and for how long? Are you using one QT tank or two?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, the trophonts will drop off the fish and begin the lifecycle. It will then become a protomont and next a tomont where it reproduces and eventually ends up a free swimming theront where the process begins again. The process usually takes about a week so you can go many days with the fish "looking" healthy but the ich is still present.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one QT... Kole was in for 45 days check copper levels daily stablized at about 2.5ppm- used chelated copper

I follow humblefish I'm still making my way through all his threads but I reference these ones often

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one QT... Kole was in for 45 days check copper levels daily stablized at about 2.5ppm- used chelated copper

I follow humblefish I'm still making my way through all his threads but I reference these ones often

That should generally be sufficient. There is very few rare cases of copper resistant diseases. Just as an FYI he has his own fourms now that is specific to fish treatments and diseases. A TON of info there if needed.
After those 45 days. I would assume 14 of those were after copper treatment at normal conditions with now signs of ich or any other disease?

I am not sure if all your fish in your DT have been treated. If not the risk of re infection is still there until you go fishless. This is your decision of managing knowing you have ich in the DT or completely treating ( yes that includes corals unless you leave the system fishless for an appropriate period of time)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have noted, read up on the ich lifecycle and all will become clear ….

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should generally be sufficient. There is very few rare cases of copper resistant diseases. Just as an FYI he has his own fourms now that is specific to fish treatments and diseases. A TON of info there if needed.
After those 45 days. I would assume 14 of those were after copper treatment at normal conditions with now signs of ich or any other disease?

I am not sure if all your fish in your DT have been treated. If not the risk of re infection is still there until you go fishless. This is your decision of managing knowing you have ich in the DT or completely treating ( yes that includes corals unless you leave the system fishless for an appropriate period of time)

14 days, 45 days in QT I thought about going longer but with one fish, eating, and looking healthy I didn't see the need. I am a firm believer in QT and proper pest controls. I have more experience with coral (pests) than I do fish and I've been lucky to dodge anything in my original nano tank. That aside my bigger tank is newer and I don't trust LFS to do any type of proper QT... so all the original fish went into QT following similar guides. Shockingly my fish that have done the best are from Liveaquaria's divers den... I know that's been hit or miss since the Petco merger, but I think the Wisco facility is better run than the LA.

Coming back to this thread @Mr.Weathers if the spots come back if you can snap a shot. I wouldn't recommend putting the fish into the tank yet until you are totally sure of what it is... Ich can reproduce and cycle itself without you being aware.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not far off this notion. The level of effort to properly quarantine EVERYTHING is probably accomplished by about 5% of the people that employ it.

It is a risk mitigation approach.. the more things/livestock you QT ( or purchase truly QTed ) the less risk. Its your tank, your animals, and your money. It is your choice for amount of risk.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a risk mitigation approach.. the more things/livestock you QT ( or purchase truly QTed ) the less risk. Its your tank, your animals, and your money. It is your choice for amount of risk.

The problem is, you quarantine everything or nothing. Anything in between results in wasted time, effort, and money.

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days, 45 days in QT I thought about going longer but with one fish, eating, and looking healthy I didn't see the need. I am a firm believer in QT and proper pest controls. I have more experience with coral (pests) than I do fish and I've been lucky to dodge anything in my original nano tank. That aside my bigger tank is newer and I don't trust LFS to do any type of proper QT... so all the original fish went into QT following similar guides. Shockingly my fish that have done the best are from Liveaquaria's divers den... I know that's been hit or miss since the Petco merger, but I think the Wisco facility is better run than the LA.

Coming back to this thread @Mr.Weathers if the spots come back if you can snap a shot. I wouldn't recommend putting the fish into the tank yet until you are totally sure of what it is... Ich can reproduce and cycle itself without you being aware.
Absolutely not putting them back in the DT lol gonna give it a good month or two with treatment I know how ich works but they went from having spots at least somewhere for 2+ weeks and then dosed ich x there was absolutely not a single one. I know the drop off and I know their lifecycle but this made me think it was something else

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back