Ich flukes ? Can someone diagnose this please

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a breakout in qt all fish have been in copper cupramine over 30 days at therapeutic level
4 days ago I dosed api general cure to treat worms as my yellow tang had lumps and bumps on its stomach and white string poo he is eating alot more now and looks fatter with a smooth looking stomach I was suppose to dose it again 5-7 days from the first dose taking humble fish advice if its ich what am I best doing because my yellow and purple have hlle now and if it is flukes the api general cure treatment should of sorted them out im lost with it any advice will be appreciated

Screenshot_20210309-190702_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190711_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190652_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190834_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190617_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use carbon on the tank? The General cure didn’t cause the HLLE, and should be dosed again to ensure you got rid of the flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon at all I used a sponge air filter flat piece of cycled rock from the tank I had ich or velvet in I removed the rock yesterday and did a 50 percent water change and added another dose of general cure just incase it was flukes I have just looked at the fish and the parasites look a lot bigger today maybe its ich should I do a 100 percent water change in a couple of days when general cure has had the time to work and add cupramine again for another 30 days or would using copper safe or copper power be a better med im just worried about treating the fish again so soon with having hlle

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after Christmas I lost 3 fish in my main display tank to ich or velvet so in a panic I set up a qt tank and put the the remaining fish and a piece of live rock and a sponge air filter in it for beneficial bacteria I dosed cupramine as it said on the instructions I lost every fish but a naso tang I bought back the fish I had and they have been in copper for over 30 days no drop in copper at anytime I add copper to fresh mix saltwater then add it during a water change I started to remove the copper a few days ago and this outbreak happened

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-223705_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-223705_Gallery.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20210310-223045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-223045_Gallery.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210310-223035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-223035_Gallery.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 43

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused - I couldn’t see any spots on the fish yesterday, yet today they are covered! The spots on the hepatus are really strange, large and raised up. Is it a really small tang? Maybe it’s just perspective.
How long have the fish been out of copper?
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a small reagle tang yesterday they looked to be in the skin with the skin been raised and today they are a lot larger like sugar grains they are still in half strength cupramine my plan was to gradually take it out with water changes add general cure and then remove the copper all together

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a Velvet outbreak. A little different than flukes.
Humblefish no longer on R2R - Its Jay who has been conversing with you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a small reagle tang yesterday they looked to be in the skin with the skin been raised and today they are a lot larger like sugar grains they are still in half strength cupramine my plan was to gradually take it out with water changes add general cure and then remove the copper all together
If that is ich, you would want to get the copper back up to full strength ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll dose it back to full strength now then I don't understand why the copper has not solved it and by dosing it again probably still won't cure it won't the fish die from toxicity from been in copper too long should I try copper power or copper safe I have been trying to ge hold of some chloroquine but its impossible in the uk to get

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute best thing may not be possible - scrape a few of the white spots and look at them under a microscope. As I said, these seem really large for ich, but maybe the tang is really small and it is a matter of perspective? The are these mucus plugs that tangs get when stressed, but I’ve never seen that many at one time, and they show on the body only, and I can clearly see spots on the fins.
Jay

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we allowed to link to a topic on HF's forum? I have two fish in QT. After 30 days in copper at 2.5ppm, just as I was about to remove the copper one of them suddenly got, what appears to be Ich. I've been discussing it with him for the past few days, trying a few things. I've got to pick up some new meds today, but I have a funny feeling he's not going to survive.
If it makes any difference, there's two clowns in this QT and one of them is clearly more aggressive so the other one may have broken out in whatever this is due to stress. I've got them seperated by a screen now and that seems to be helping, at least with the stress as the sick fish doesn't spend 23 hours a day in hiding anymore. Also worthy of note, even with both fish in the same 20g QT only one is sick. So whatever it is, so far, hasn't spread.
I've been very tempted to move the healthy (or otherwise not showing symptoms) fish to the DT. These are the first two fish, so it would be in the DT all alone. Of course, I'd prefer not to have to go fallow for almost 3 months if it's just not showing symptoms.

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute best thing may not be possible - scrape a few of the white spots and look at them under a microscope. As I said, these seem really large for ich, but maybe the tang is really small and it is a matter of perspective? The are these mucus plugs that tangs get when stressed, but I’ve never seen that many at one time, and they show on the body only, and I can clearly see spots on the fins.
Jay
I have just got in from work and looked to see if its still present and they all look better only tge odd tiny grain on the yellow tang and two clownfish they have literally shown up as little tiny grains a few days ago and the next day they was covered in large grains and now the odd minute grains ill do a full dose of copper again for 30 days remove it all then observe them for a month after thanks for your advice bud

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we allowed to link to a topic on HF's forum? I have two fish in QT. After 30 days in copper at 2.5ppm, just as I was about to remove the copper one of them suddenly got, what appears to be Ich. I've been discussing it with him for the past few days, trying a few things. I've got to pick up some new meds today, but I have a funny feeling he's not going to survive.
If it makes any difference, there's two clowns in this QT and one of them is clearly more aggressive so the other one may have broken out in whatever this is due to stress. I've got them seperated by a screen now and that seems to be helping, at least with the stress as the sick fish doesn't spend 23 hours a day in hiding anymore. Also worthy of note, even with both fish in the same 20g QT only one is sick. So whatever it is, so far, hasn't spread.
I've been very tempted to move the healthy (or otherwise not showing symptoms) fish to the DT. These are the first two fish, so it would be in the DT all alone. Of course, I'd prefer not to have to go fallow for almost 3 months if it's just not showing symptoms.
Hi, the best thing would be to start a new thread, as sometimes, similar cases have subtle, but important differences....it also keeps me from getting confused (grin). See the link below my name for additional info that I need to try problem solving. Regarding linking HF’s web site, that also gets too confusing for us and you.
Thanks,
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got in from work and looked to see if its still present and they all look better only tge odd tiny grain on the yellow tang and two clownfish they have literally shown up as little tiny grains a few days ago and the next day they was covered in large grains and now the odd minute grains ill do a full dose of copper again for 30 days remove it all then observe them for a month after thanks for your advice bud
So - that fast appearance and disappearance is really odd. Ich will do that early on, but not when there are that many spots. Sand stuck in a fish’s mucus will also do that, but not in this case I think.
Jay

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the best thing would be to start a new thread, as sometimes, similar cases have subtle, but important differences....it also keeps me from getting confused (grin). See the link below my name for additional info that I need to try problem solving. Regarding linking HF’s web site, that also gets too confusing for us and you.
Thanks,
Jay
I wasn't looking for additional help (or attempting to offer advice) I just wanted to know if the OP wanted to skim through my thread because of some similarities.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a breakout in qt all fish have been in copper cupramine over 30 days at therapeutic level
4 days ago I dosed api general cure to treat worms as my yellow tang had lumps and bumps on its stomach and white string poo he is eating alot more now and looks fatter with a smooth looking stomach I was suppose to dose it again 5-7 days from the first dose taking humble fish advice if its ich what am I best doing because my yellow and purple have hlle now and if it is flukes the api general cure treatment should of sorted them out im lost with it any advice will be appreciated

Screenshot_20210309-190702_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190711_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190652_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190834_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210309-190617_Gallery.jpg
Found it!!! @Jay Hemdal is the fish guru. Best advice you can get is from him IMO. ❤️❤️❤️

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal judging by the size of the hepatys to the yellow tang, I think it must be really tiny. I’d guess a quarter size, but I may be off. But it would explain the apparent giant of the spots.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back