ICH help from Red blood and cleaner Shrimps

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recent added 1 Red Blood Shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp, very next day my clownfishes are rubbing on sand. Can shrimps carry ICH?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, but if you added any water from the bag with them, it's possible. Rubbing and flashing are more commonly signs of flukes, especially if you don't see any spots.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain that your Clowns have ICH? Fish I’ll rub from time to time on rock etc. Inverts can not be infected with the ICH parasite and I find it hard to believe that they could carry it with them.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, but if you added any water from the bag with them, it's possible. Rubbing and flashing are more commonly signs of flukes, especially if you don't see any spots.
I never add fish packet LFS water to my tank but u can say few drops from my net. I dip the net in my fish packet to catch the shrimp but not dip in my tank still few drops entered my tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp can't be infected by ich, but they theoretically can have the encysted form of ich on their exoskeletons. It is recommended to quarantine shrimp until they molt, then they are safe from even the encysted form of ich. If the clowns started the flashing all of a sudden (and you have never seen this behavior previously), then I would be very concerned. You can either pull them out and treat, or watch real closely to see if they start demonstrating any other signs. But, as previously annotated...could be flukes as well that just coincidentally started after the addition of the shrimp. If it continues, I would quarantine and run through a treatment process to be safe. But, if suspecting ich, your system would need to run fallow for 72 (or 76, I forget) days to ensure any treated fish doesn't get it again once you reintroduce the fish to the system. Clowns are also very susceptible to Brooklynella...so watch for those signs as well.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp can't be infected by ich, but they theoretically can have the encysted form of ich on their exoskeletons. It is recommended to quarantine shrimp until they molt, then they are safe from even the encysted form of ich. If the clowns started the flashing all of a sudden (and you have never seen this behavior previously), then I would be very concerned. You can either pull them out and treat, or watch real closely to see if they start demonstrating any other signs. But, as previously annotated...could be flukes as well that just coincidentally started after the addition of the shrimp. If it continues, I would quarantine and run through a treatment process to be safe. But, if suspecting ich, your system would need to run fallow for 72 (or 76, I forget) days to ensure any treated fish doesn't get it again once you reintroduce the fish to the system. Clowns are also very susceptible to Brooklynella...so watch for those signs as well.
Thank u so much for writing down. [emoji4]
No signs of ich but i see bit of fins DAMAGED on both clowns. No aggression in my tank. I have 2 clowns and 1 orchid dottyback all are very peaceful with no doubt.
Do Shirmps attack to clownfish? blood red n cleaner??

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u so much for writing down. [emoji4]
No signs of ich but i see bit of fins DAMAGED on both clowns. No aggression in my tank. I have 2 clowns and 1 orchid dottyback all are very peaceful with no doubt.
Do Shirmps attack to clownfish? blood red n cleaner??

I don't think the fin damage is coming from the shrimp. It could just be damage from an injury or possibly a bacterial fin rot disease starting. Ich typically doesn't do that to fins. It would be a good idea to start a new thread in the fish diseases forum and pay pictures of the fish along with your tank's parameters. There, you will get more people who have experience with fish diseases to see your post.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the fin damage is coming from the shrimp. It could just be damage from an injury or possibly a bacterial fin rot disease starting. Ich typically doesn't do that to fins. It would be a good idea to start a new thread in the fish diseases forum and pay pictures of the fish along with your tank's parameters. There, you will get more people who have experience with fish diseases to see your post.
Thanks and appreciated I will do it now.

Back