Ich help

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my blue tang and yellow tang have ich. What do I do. I do not have a qt. Hear is what I have in extra equipment

40 gallon breeder
Canister filter
20 gallon sump
Heaters and powerheads
Small led light.

I guess I am asking what should I do, I have read the only treatment is copper in a qt tank for 3 months and no fish in my dt for the same. How hard is it to set up a qt does it have to cycle please help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up QT tank. Use your 40 breeder.

Add media from display tank and a bottle of Dr Tims or Biospiria to boost biofilter.

Treat fish in therapuetic copper for 30 days. I recommend copper power. If your sure it's ich and not velvet, spend 5 days ramping up to the therapuetic level with 2 doses per day minimum. Also recommend the Hanna copper checker to monitor Cu level during treatment.

DT needs to be fallow for 76 days. The fish can just stay in the QT until the fallow period is up, but copper only needs to be used for 30 days.

Can you post pics?

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya when dt light turns on, I haven't done water change in a while should I use some water from dt? Parameters are perfect?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use some DT water. I prefer to use all new water for QT.

Media is the important thing to transfer in order to establish a biofilter.

You will also want to get a HOB filter. If you have a big box near by you can grab one for around 20 bucks that will handle 40b

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is going to be stressed from the move ,ich ,and new environment. Would it not be better for the fish to be transferred with as much water from DT as possible, so you don't have to acclamate .

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem my 40 gallon breeder tank was originally set up for a bearded dragon it has tile and grout on the base of it. Will the tile and grout cause the tank to cycle I have used it for freshwater for multiple years and never had an issue. Petco has there dollar per gallon sale going on would I be better off just buying a 20 gallon tank. Is 20 gallons enough for two clowns, 4in blue hippo Tang, 4 inch yellow tang, and another 3 inch fish that I cannot remember the name of?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem my 40 gallon breeder tank was originally set up for a bearded dragon it has tile and grout on the base of it. Will the tile and grout cause the tank to cycle I have used it for freshwater for multiple years and never had an issue. Petco has there dollar per gallon sale going on would I be better off just buying a 20 gallon tank. Is 20 gallons enough for two clowns, 4in blue hippo Tang, 4 inch yellow tang, and another 3 inch fish that I cannot remember the name of?
Go buy a 40 gal to be safe. I agree with @HotRocks. You don’t want things in the tank that’ll absorb meds or you’ll have to do this more than once potentially.

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh biggest problem so far in this hobby is that I didn't listen to everyone. "set up a qt tank" they said "if you don't you will regret it" they said. Well hell why did I have to be a rebel lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh biggest problem so far in this hobby is that I didn't listen to everyone. "set up a qt tank" they said "if you don't you will regret it" they said. Well hell why did I have to be a rebel lol
You’re not the only one to learn the hard way (me too). Quarantine has its own learning curve but it’s the best way. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a all in one 40 gallon on craigslist for 50 bucks, so I don't need anything but filter media now right? I guess I'm asking if I still need the roller filter?
20180804_191706.jpeg
20180804_191712.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no just filter media. With any medicine air stone is strongly recommended

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Air stones will work. But I have far more success with gas exchange using power heads pointed at surface of water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back