Ich in a tank with coral

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see clowns being any more resistant to ich than most other fish. Some tangs will show it first, but clownfish are by no way immune. Plus clowns get Brooklynella, so that makes things worse - since the treatments are different and the fish can get them at the same time.

What you may be referring to is tank raised clowns, going from a breeder straight to a hobbyist, without getting mixed in with wild caught fish, almost never show with ich because the breeders do not have that parasite in their systems.

Jay
I'm just going off what I have read from internet articles authored by aquatic veterinarians. Strange that a lot of times people with ich or brook in their tanks will lose all fish except one or two that never develop the disease? That was my situation with brook. 2 wrasses never got it. Natural immunity? Just lucky? PaulB intentionally introduces ich fish into his tank in order to develop and maintain immunity for his inhabitants. So, I guess fish immunity to parasite like ich can be increased with specific methods huh?

And thank you for always stepping up with your knowledge to help people here.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clownfish seem to have ich, I noticed one acting funny last night so I did a freshwater dip, put him back and noticed he has white spots all over him, and they are showing up on my other clown now.

I have several corals, so I’m not sure the game plan? I have all inverts and coral and one goby.

4 questions:

1. Will I need to treat in a separate tank?

2. If I need to treat in a separate tank, how long?

3. Do I have to dig up my goby? (Or both my goby and pistol shrimp?)

4. What do I treat this with that I can find at LFS?
UPDATE: One clowned passed but we managed to save the other. When I went to the store to ask for advice they explained they had been having what they think are parasite problems, and apparently it’s hard to find copper here so the owner let me borrow their personal copper and Hanna copper checker, such a great Place, and they even offered to replace our fish when we get another.

A QT tank has been set up, were doing a 70 day fallow period. The copper treatment started working almost immediately! My clown ate last night for the first time in a day and a half, and ate immediately again this morning. 30 more days of the treatment, then just a wait but overall going well. Still so sad about the other fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back