Ich in fowlr display tank

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out I have got ich in my display tank, and they were the last fish I was going to add my my tank. I quarantine all my fish for 10-15 days but I guess that’s not enough. The butterflies I got had the ich dang. Now I’m dosing cupramine into the display tank. I hope it will be fine. I want to ask is cupramine the best for totally taking out ich. I also raised the temperature to 82-83 degrees F.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out I have got ich in my display tank, and they were the last fish I was going to add my my tank. I quarantine all my fish for 10-15 days but I guess that’s not enough. The butterflies I got had the ich dang. Now I’m dosing cupramine into the display tank. I hope it will be fine. I want to ask is cupramine the best for totally taking out ich. I also raised the temperature to 82-83 degrees F.
Don’t raise the temp. It’s not necessary, and will just reduce oxygen concentration and add stress to the fish. Just know that you’ll never be able to put coral or inverts in that tank going forward. The rock absorbs copper and will slowly leech it back out over time.

You really need a reliable copper checker, like the Hanna copper colorimeter. Your rocks are going to soak copper and you need to maintain a minimum therapeutic dose for 30 days in order to eradicate the ich. I believe it’s .4ppm with cupramine? The bottle should tell you. If it drops below that, you’ll have to start over essentially.

Long story short, it would have been better to do this in a quarantine tank, but if that’s impractical, you’ll have to navigate the difficulties of doing it in-situ.

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank does not have any rock in it, it is fake rock made from plastic I run a lot and a lot of bio media inside. In the future I do not every plan to add any corals and inverts because I already have a nano reef tank hahah.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need a copper checker. If you overdo it, it can be fatal. I also don’t know whether or not the bio-rings can absorb copper. Your response doesn’t change the facts of my last post. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have purchased a copper test kit by salifert. Thankss. I will keep you guys updated

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back