ICH in My Display Tank

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, it can take 3 days for copper to start to work. You'll see a gradually reduction in number of spots, then the fish will have just a general cloudiness to their skin. You'll want to keep the copper up for 30 days. Some people say 14 days, but the logic of that is flawed: copper doesn't kill the tomont stage and those stages can survive for 30+ days, so 14 days just isn't long enough.

the 14 days comes from if you transfer the fish to a new sterile tank. At that point all trophonts will have fallen off fish.

Op if you did add tang to dt make sure to restart the 30 day clock

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF760051-4FB2-4544-9184-715D788D3520.jpeg
86CCC71B-03B7-4F74-B637-75CB86CA3F9D.jpeg

Its just crazy how fast they got rid of ich from their body. I really liked this fritz copper safe !

YES and seems like we have to wait 30 days from Tuesday.

i was just half way down, and wanted to get the Blur Tang and QT him while treating the main tank. But i gues i did not sterilize the QT tank..

Also guys, once everything is over, do you think those coloration on the rocks will go away?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF760051-4FB2-4544-9184-715D788D3520.jpeg
86CCC71B-03B7-4F74-B637-75CB86CA3F9D.jpeg

Its just crazy how fast they got rid of ich from their body. I really liked this fritz copper safe !

YES and seems like we have to wait 30 days from Tuesday.

i was just half way down, and wanted to get the Blur Tang and QT him while treating the main tank. But i gues i did not sterilize the QT tank..

Also guys, once everything is over, do you think those coloration on the rocks will go away?

What do you think the coloration is from? Looks like a shift in algae species to me. Copper won't cause that directly though. One possibility - the copper may have knocked out some microfauna that had been eating algae, and then, the nutrients in their dead bodies is released into the water, allowing a different species of algae to bloom....

Jay

Spardas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, great. I didn't realize you gave it to LFS. Good, was concerned about it in copper treatment.

They're the coolest creatures and my favorite fish. Once treatment is complete, if you ever want another eel, should just put it in QT with hyposalinity before going into DT. Eels are good at hiding parasites.

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is still going on, i woke up today and see that blue tang has some ich spots on him. When i was feeding them yesterday, i didnot see any. I wonder whats going on. Copper levels are 2.17 on Hanna Checker.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is still going on, i woke up today and see that blue tang has some ich spots on him. When i was feeding them yesterday, i didnot see any. I wonder whats going on. Copper levels are 2.17 on Hanna Checker.

So - back in March, since you were seeing good response, I suggested that you keep the copper at that level (around 2.1 I think). However, the normal dose for Coppersafe is 2.5 - Now that you are still seeing some spot, you might want to bump it up to a full dose.

Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - back in March, since you were seeing good response, I suggested that you keep the copper at that level (around 2.1 I think). However, the normal dose for Coppersafe is 2.5 - Now that you are still seeing some spot, you might want to bump it up to a full dose.

Jay
Oh! I thought instructions on the bottle said i need to keep it at 2.00 ppm ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I thought instructions on the bottle said i need to keep it at 2.00 ppm ?

Coppersafe tests out at 2.5 when dosed in full, on the Hanna Checker - at least every time I've done it (actually tests out more at 2.55) I'm not sure why Fritz says 2.0. The listed Copper Power dose is also 2.0, but many people find they need to increase that to 2.5 in order to get a good cure rate.

Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, update for everyone following this thread.

Patiently waiting for a month, keeping coppersafe over 2.00 ppm (i know Jay suggested it should be over 2.5 ppm. Only reason i kept it around 2 or a bit more than 2 , based on Fritz instructions). Ich was completely gone.
Did lots of water changed and copper is almost gone, reading around 0.14 ppm.

But recently tang has white spots again. Others are fine, i wonder this is just because of tang where they are more prone to having ich.. So let’s see how it goes. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on puffer and trigger and see if they’ll have any signs of ich.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the copper treatment were successful, the tang couldn't just manifest ich out of nowhere. It means that ich is still in the tank and that copper was not sucessful.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Patiently waiting for a month, keeping coppersafe over 2.00 ppm (i know Jay suggested it should be over 2.5 ppm. Only reason i kept it around 2 or a bit more than 2 , based on Fritz instructions). Ich was completely gone.

But recently tang has white spots again. Others are fine, i wonder this is just because of tang where they are more prone to having ich.. So let’s see how it goes. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on puffer and trigger and see if they’ll have any signs of ich.

Ok I see a pattern here.

Your post of adding the Tang to the DT I quoted was on 4-9-22. You didn't follow Jay's advice and keep the copper at the recommended dose.

In the second quote posted today, You "did lots of water changes" and copper is now almost gone. It hasn't been 30 days yet. Now you are seeing spots on the Tang again.

Not to be harsh, but WHY are you not taking the advice of the experts here?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not all "white spots" are ich trophonts, but if that is indeed what you are seeing (discrete white spots that come and go every few days) then my thought is that the low copper suppressed the ich, but did not eliminate it. This is commonly seen in pet stores that run lower doses of copper - the fish look good until people get them home into tanks with no copper.

You could try hypo, or another round of copper, but at a full dose this time. I'm not a big fan of trying to "manage" ich, it sometimes flares up to an active infection later on.

Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see a pattern here.

Your post of adding the Tang to the DT I quoted was on 4-9-22. You didn't follow Jay's advice and keep the copper at the recommended dose.

In the second quote posted today, You "did lots of water changes" and copper is now almost gone. It hasn't been 30 days yet. Now you are seeing spots on the Tang again.

Not to be harsh, but WHY are you not taking the advice of the experts here?

Wrong, when i started dosing copper for Tang it was March 22nd. I has been more than 30 days when i did the massive water change.

When i dosed it i kept it little over 2:00 ppm and tested very often.

@Jay Hemdal may actually be right. I’ll try to post a video of the Tang later and share it here. Lets see what the spots may look like to you guys. I just see some white bumps kind of spots.

i’ll post it for everyone for future reference who may try to experience same issues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't rule out ich from the videos, some of the spots seem too large. Hepatus tangs are prone to developing idiopathic mucus plugs due to stress. The stress can be flukes, ich, copper or unknown causes. The key is, as I mentioned, to watch the spots to see if they come and go. If they are in the same location for 72 hours +, then they aren't ich.

Here is a link to an article that discusses some of that (in the PDF link on the right)

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back