Ich in new tank, should I just remove inverts and coral and treat display?

LonitzCMU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, total newbie here. I added my first few fish to the tank and things were going well (learned about need to QT AFTER adding them.) I have one birdsnest coral frag, an anemone, two snails and a hermit crab in the tank with my fish (a clown, wrasse, chromis and Tang). I do not have an extra tank large enough to remove all the fish for three weeks, but did set up a 2 gallon tank as a hospital tank. Should I put the coral and snails etc. in there and dose the main tank for Ich? I have noticed only one small white spot on my bristletooth tang. He is still eating well etc.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with treating the display is that the rock will end up absorbing the copper and eventually leach it back out.

I wouldn’t advise it. check craigslist or something and see if you can get a cheap tank.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably nothing to worry about. just stressed about the new environment. My tangs get ich 2-3 times a year if I go a few months without water change or when im traveling and cant feed much. They always get over it eventually with a water change or more food.

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue when I started and I thought if I keep the fish happy feed it good everything will be okay and honestly it wasn’t. I’m currently FALLOW at the moment your best option is to find a tank to take the fishes out and treat them in there and leave main display empty for few months. I know it’s the biggest pin esp when you’ve just started but will benefit you and the fish in the long run

OP
OP
LonitzCMU

LonitzCMU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the spot? Might not be Ich.

IMG_2023.jpg

OP
OP
LonitzCMU

LonitzCMU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually doesn't look as white or raised today, so maybe just a stress blotch or he ran into the rock?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to treat with copper, and only have a small hospital tank, here is my recommendation.

If you can fit all your coral comfortably in the 2 gallon, and keep them healthy, do so.

Remove ALL rock and sand from the display, and it can absorb and leach copper, making treatment difficult and dangerous. If you want to keep the bacteria alive, place the rock in a sturdy plastic bin or tote with a heater and powerhead. With lid to prevent algae growth, occasionally feed with ammonia.

Sand can be rinsed thoroughly with freshwater, and stored dry, or placed in with the rock.

Add pvc fittings to provide hides for the fish, and you can now treat with copper.

This is exactly what I did after a velvet outbreak.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, total newbie here. I added my first few fish to the tank and things were going well (learned about need to QT AFTER adding them.) I have one birdsnest coral frag, an anemone, two snails and a hermit crab in the tank with my fish (a clown, wrasse, chromis and Tang). I do not have an extra tank large enough to remove all the fish for three weeks, but did set up a 2 gallon tank as a hospital tank. Should I put the coral and snails etc. in there and dose the main tank for Ich? I have noticed only one small white spot on my bristletooth tang. He is still eating well etc.
I dosed my 150 with cupramine and it was no problem getting the copper back out of the system took about 1 month of running Cuprisorb and poly filters zip tied to my powerheads along with some big water changes I feel like most people that will try and say how bad it is to use copper in a dt have actually never tried it saying it will bind with silicon and what not is just false but I had no option as I had about 15 fish and 6 of those being decent size fish I would have had to set up like 3 quarantine tanks with all that said its still easier to just get a 20 gallon and set it up

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. From the picture, it looks like you're just seeing the normal pattern of a kole tang. They all have a brown color with white spots and lines. I'd watch for signs of ich on your clownfish or chromis as it will be easier to determine non-spotted skin. At the moment, I would not treat your tank. Keep an eye on them, but I think you should be fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back