Ich in newly cycled tank!! Can I just treat the entire tank since I have no corals yet?

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video of the Kole Tang, can't see if he has spots or not, but you can see his behavior and breathing.

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video of the Kole Tang, can't see if he has spots or not, but you can see his behavior and breathing.

Hes deff twitching so good you caught it early on. I would probably still treat with hypo if I were you & just keep an eye out.

If it is Ich and you go the QT in a separate tank route then you also need to keep your tank fallow for 76+ days which extends your waiting time.

Hypo is the best solution for your needs. If it turns out to be velvet then you will have to treat for that in a separate QT tank afterwards + go fallow in your dt tank.

I know how tough it is. I have a DT tank up for a month now with no fish/inverts in it b.c I'm QTing everything. I'm running 3 QT tanks right now lol.

I would personally take out all the fish, QT them in a separate tank while treating for everything under the sun and keep the DT tank fallow for 80 days. As exhausting as it may sound It guarantees future success.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I went to quarantine route do I need to remove the inverts from the display tank?

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is to hoping someone else will chime in, to say if they think it is ich or velvet......

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I went to quarantine route do I need to remove the inverts from the display tank?
NO if you move all fish to a QT tank you can keep all inverts in DT tank. As long as they stay in there for a min of 76 days with no fish. BUT if you add a new invert to the DT at anytime the clock resets.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the kole tang was swimming in the flow yesterday and in your video it appears to be trying to hide from the light. Both of those are signs of velvet, which can’t be treated with hypo.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I just checked and my local petco has a 29 gallon that I am going to get pick up.

Is copper the recommended best treatment then? What medications does everyone recommend?

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found that my local fish store has Cupramine By Seachem. Will that work as my copper? I don't have a Hanna copper tester, will I be ok with just precisely following the bottle recommendations?

ikeasuperfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about inverts you could try Sicce Hypercure. Made the same mistake as you when I first started my tank and didn't quarantine my clown pair and one of them got ich. I dosed the tank daily with hypercure and added garlic extract to help their immune systems, and the clown survived without infecting the other. Hypercure is tested with inverts and is for the most part pretty safe, just do a hefty water change once your treatment is over. (You may have a couple hermits die, I lost 2 members of my CUC, but the rest survived.) That being said, the best treatment is gonna be copper in a QT, but if you want to treat the DT, hypercure is a good choice.

ikeasuperfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I just checked and my local petco has a 29 gallon that I am going to get pick up.

Is copper the recommended best treatment then? What medications does everyone recommend?
Fritz Coppersafe is a pretty good medicine. It's really potent so you won't need a lot to treat a whole QT. It's the only one I've used personally so I can't speak for others, but Coppersafe is pretty popular and works well.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will check into that. I think I have decided to go the safest route to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have enough stress in my life already, I don't need this again:)

Should I hook up the UV on the DT still? Since I will have the fish moved, would it help to eradicate and clean the DT any faster? Or I could adjust the flow for algae and help to keep the tank cleaner till the Tangs are back?

ikeasuperfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will check into that. I think I have decided to go the safest route to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have enough stress in my life already, I don't need this again:)

Should I hook up the UV on the DT still? Since I will have the fish moved, would it help to eradicate and clean the DT any faster? Or I could adjust the flow for algae and help to keep the tank cleaner till the Tangs are back?
Running UV on the DT will really help, especially if there's any trophonts hiding in your substrate.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I also found a local place that has Copper Power, so I'm picking that up tonight as well as Prazi Pro.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else want to take a guess at what they think it is? Ich or Velvet?

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found that my local fish store has Cupramine By Seachem. Will that work as my copper? I don't have a Hanna copper tester, will I be ok with just precisely following the bottle recommendations?
You need a checker for 2 reasons.

1. You need to slowly increase copper to give the fish time to acclimate.
2. You need to make sure copper stays at therapeutic levels. If it ever falls below 1.5ppm you reset the 30 day clock.

I use copper Power

Day 1: Copper should be 1.0ppm when putting fish in
Day 2: Raise copper to 1.35ppm
Day 3: Raise Copper to 1.70ppm
Day 4: Raise copper to 2.0ppm
Day5: Raise copper to 2.5ppm

Then keep copper at 2.5ppm for 30 days OR keep them in for 14 days and then transfer fish to a new tank that has no copper for observation. New tank doesn't need meds.

I use the Petco 10G tanks. More than enough for a few fish.
1 Tank I use for the copper treatment for 14 days.
2nd tank is observation & deworming.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!!

So I went to one of my local fish stores that I trust. (Top Shelf Aquatics, Winter Park) and he viewed my videos and looked the pictures over carefully. He did not think it was ich or velvet. He also didn't think I needed to go as extreme as to quarantine them all or drop salinity at this point. He recommended I try something else first called Itch-X, (which is formaldehyde <3%).

I dosed the tank as recommend Thursday night at 7 pm. At that point the yellow eye kole tang was still on the bottom, breathing fast and falling on its side or leaning on a rock. He was not swimming at all and I thought he would die through the night. Friday morning he was looking about 5-10% better. Still on the bottom against the rock but no longer falling on his side. Still fast breathing. Friday afternoon at 2pm I decided to do a bath as the bottle recommends for 30 minutes at a higher dose. My son noticed at 4pm that he was actually swimming a bit and moved to his favorite cave higher in water column. He continued to improve last night and swam a bit more, but still no eating. (I was offering everything and hoping) I continued to dose the entire tank as recommended each day. This morning we woke to find him acting almost completely normal!! Swimming around the tank and now I just noticed him eating algae of the rocks!!!!

Still not sure what it was, but we are so happy he is getting better and hoping this afternoon to see him take pellet and shrimp!

Thanks for all the help Thursday, in my state of panic

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, I found the kole tang dead on the bottom this morning! He was doing well, eating and breathing normally. He did maintain a little bit of paleness and kept his top fins sucked in. The yellow tang and now my Dottyback are looking worse. Seeing spots on the dotty back, the Yellow Tang seems to be scratching himself on the sand and rocks. He didn't eat this morning which is a first for him!

Now regretting just moving them all to a QT tank and treating. I have the copper power and I think I'm going to get a 20 gallon tank tonight and move them. Catching them will be a royal pain, so any tips, feel free to share! The 2 clownfish and 2 cardinals seem not to be affected at all, but I don't want to take any more chances.

With the tank fallow, can I keep inverts and coral in there? I don't have anything in there right now, I moved the inverts to my little nano-tank, and I hadn't moved any corals over yet.

Also, one last question. I have read humblefish posts on copper and hyprosalinity. Guessing the copper is the preferred method? I will need to buy the Hanna meter for that, so just wondering aloud if hypo would kill off everything while have them QT?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this thread useful. I do not recommend treating in your display tank because anything you do is likely to harm your beneficial bacteria.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I'm going to get a QT tank for this process. In fact, I was about to post this next question.

2 cardinals, and 2 clownfish. Will a 20 gallon tank be ok for the QT? They will be in there for almost 90 days to leave the tank fallow. Also, will that same 20 (24"Lx12"Wx16"H) be ok for QT when I get a couple small tangs to replace these two that I'm losing? Or should I go with a 37 gallon(30"Lx12"Wx22"H)?

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I will have the tang in there to start with if he makes it till tonight, which I think he will. So I would have 5 total fish in this QT for 3 months. The 20 gallon would fit very nicely on the kitchen countertop, so I hope you tell me that will work:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back