OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 76 days guaranteed to work? I don’t want to waste my time just to end up having to do it all again.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a rubber tote tomorrow. I have this medic will it work?
Kordon Rid Ich Plus #37656 - 16oz.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread belongs in the fish disease forum. There’s a sticky on ich treatment versus management that’s worth a read. Whether your fish will develop immunity is hard to say. It depends on their health/slime coat as well as the potency of the ich strain. With a small tank and only a few fish, removing to treatment does seem like the more sensible approach.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m removing to treat tomorrow or after tomorrow could you guys help me with some steps to make sure my fish don’t die in the rubber tote what maintenance will I need? Should I put leftover sand / dry rock.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of bio balls and pieces of live rock in my sump. Could I add those to the tote to add nitrifying bacteria.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be managed. Don’t stress too hard.

It’s easier to manage in an established tank with sand, but if you’re tank is new you can boost the fishes immune system to help them fight it off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m removing to treat tomorrow or after tomorrow could you guys help me with some steps to make sure my fish don’t die in the rubber tote what maintenance will I need? Should I put leftover sand / dry rock.
Tote is same as a tank, just without the glass. Set up same way- Light-heater-filter- (no sand or rocks needed). . PVC tubes in lieu of rock for hiding, medication.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im setting up a rubber tote tomorrow. I have this medic will it work?
Kordon Rid Ich Plus #37656 - 16oz.

Copper safe or copper power more effective, Rid-ich is strong and has worked for several people. If you use it- dose at 75% of recommended dosage

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went fallow for 80days just in case lol
Striped down the DT but kept running my sump. As a result started new tank with cycle media.
I still get nightmares about ich though.
I have never lost a freshwater fish to disease.
Go to fish disease sub forum or search n read through ich, velvet, brook(iif clowns r ur thing) TTM, medicines to keep, fallow period threads
I hope ur fish get better.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be managed. Don’t stress too hard.

It’s easier to manage in an established tank with sand, but if you’re tank is new you can boost the fishes immune system to help them fight it off.
I take occasional vacations and I’m afraid that there could be an outbreak when I’m not home. Better safe than sorry, I will set up a qt to make sure it is eradicated. I had a taste of ich and I’m not liking it.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a new thread regarding the qt tank setup, and will look more into the fallow period.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading another thread. I think i will manage the ich for a week or so till I get the 10g up and running to make sure it is not going to kill my fish.

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Polyp Lab Reef Medic with great success. However for my tank after using it there was a huge Cyano bloom which was then dealt with. However all is well and thriving now. I believe with the medicine targeting the free swimming stage it also nukes your good bacteria as well.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Polyp Lab Reef Medic with great success. However for my tank after using it there was a huge Cyano bloom which was then dealt with. However all is well and thriving now. I believe with the medicine targeting the free swimming stage it also nukes your good bacteria as well.
I will keep using it as management till I get my qt tank up and running. Im scared to have ich in my tank if there is ever an outbreak in the future.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime with a blue tang that was stressed to death and full of ich. Never lost appetite tho With that said I used garlic guard and selcon. About three times a week. (Couldn’t go fallow) and months later no one has issues at all. Ps. My cleaner shrimp went to town on my tang which I think helped a bit also

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take occasional vacations and I’m afraid that there could be an outbreak when I’m not home. Better safe than sorry, I will set up a qt to make sure it is eradicated. I had a taste of ich and I’m not liking it.
I think QT is the best way to go. I know Paul B and others would disagree, but I’ve seen it over and over with new reefers who get completed ravaged by velvet and sometimes Ich.

One thing to keep in mind, is that Paul B has a 40 yr old well established tank with mature sand-bed. He’s a veteran Reefer that knows how to properly feed his fish. He knows how to boost their immune systems and what works for him may not work for the next reefer. IMO once an Ich Trophont leaves the fish and falls to the sand-bed, a lot of those get devoured by the life in the sand (if established). This reduces the numbers and can prevent problems.

Then let’s say a new Reefer comes along and sets up a small volume bare bottom tank. Let’s say 25 gallons. His Ich outbreak can be much more severe. If it’s Velvet it will likely over run the tank in 48 hours leaving only the stronger fish alive and they too may eventually die from repeated attacks.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading that you could manage it, but I’m thinking if I could eradicate it why not give it a try? If it ends up back in my tank. Oh well I guess I’ll manage it.

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading that you could manage it, but I’m thinking if I could eradicate it why not give it a try? If it ends up back in my tank. Oh well I guess I’ll manage it.
That’s exactly what I did. Worth the ol college try

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back