Ich in reef tank! Help!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the best way is to treat and QT all the fish. I think medicating in conjunction with 2-3 tank transfers is the fastest and safest way.

The new Ich fallow period says to leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks with temps of about 81 degrees. This speeds up the life cycle. We’ve thought this for a long time, but just didn’t have any studies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have used Polyp Lab Reef Medic with great success. However for my tank after using it there was a huge Cyano bloom which was then dealt with. However all is well and thriving now. I believe with the medicine targeting the free swimming stage it also nukes your good bacteria as well.
Medic is fantastic

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the best way is to treat and QT all the fish. I think medicating in conjunction with 2-3 tank transfers is the fastest and safest way.

The new Ich fallow period says to leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks with temps of about 81 degrees. This speeds up the life cycle. We’ve thought this for a long time, but just didn’t have any studies.
Will 81 degrees harm coral and inverts?

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am late to the party, before you go crazy with everything turn up the temp.

Run your system 82-84 degrees no less than 82 and keep the lights out for 48 hours.

It will clear up. Pulling the tank apart to quarantine in a non reef like environment is only going to stress the fish to death more than likely.

Please research what I have suggested. I have been reef keeping with large aquariums for over 10 years and never lost fish to illness such as ich. I recently got a hippo tang from a friend and healed him with this method in my reef with over a dozen other fish.

Good luck!

Once it clears drop the temp to 80-82.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Run your system 82-84 degrees no less than 82 and keep the lights out for 48 hours.

It will clear up. Pulling the tank apart to quarantine in a non reef like environment is only going to stress the fish to death more than likely.

Please research what I have suggested. I have been reef keeping with large aquariums for over 10 years and never lost fish to illness such as ich. I recently got a hippo tang from a friend and healed him with this method in my reef with over a dozen other fish.

Good luck!

Will this help the immune system, or kill? Researching....

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this help the immune system, or kill? Researching....
It relieves the stress in the fish resulting in their immune system being able to fight off the ich.

The warmer Temps will not hurt the corals, it may slow their growths but not harm them. Once cured go back to desired temp. (Never lower than 78 though)

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It relieves the stress in the fish resulting in their immune system being able to fight off the ich.

The warmer Temps will not hurt the corals, it may slow their growths but not harm them. Once cured go back to desired temp. (Never lower than 78 though)
I’m running at 79 so 81 shouldn’t be that big of a leap. I want to make sure to eradicate the ich rather than manage. I will raise the temp to speed up the life cycle of ich.

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running at 79 so 81 shouldn’t be that big of a leap. I want to make sure to eradicate the ich rather than manage. I will raise the temp to speed up the life cycle of ich.
It will certainly help.
When it boils down, ich is basically a stress disease.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medic is fantastic
I had read one of your prior posts regarding your successful experience with medic. They have a range of dosages. One scoop / 50 gallons twice per day or three scoops / 50 gallons twice /day for serious problems. I'm not sure what defines a serious problem, but out of curiosity which regimen did you follow for your success?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had read one of your prior posts regarding your successful experience with medic. They have a range of dosages. One scoop / 50 gallons twice per day or three scoops / 50 gallons twice /day for serious problems. I'm not sure what defines a serious problem, but out of curiosity which regimen did you follow for your success?
9 scoops as I was treating 660 gallon tank

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with the polyp lab reef safe medic. I’m also buying selcom to help with my fish. They are eating mysis shrimp pellets and occasional bloodworms. Should I crush some garlic and add to their food.
I did have great success with polyp lab. Just be prepared for 2 treatments but go the max time frame and do not stop early and be sure to resolve in water before adding it into your tank. I had a regal and a moorish idol covered in it and both pulled through.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did have great success with polyp lab. Just be prepared for 2 treatments but go the max time frame and do not stop early and be sure to resolve in water before adding it into your tank. I had a regal and a moorish idol covered in it and both pulled through.
I did 4 doses

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Nitcrawler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always QT, I didn’t learn the first time. 2nd time around with ich just cause I rushed that dang yellow tang. And fresh water bath helps and hypo and CP.

Attachments

• B0CF65C1-F07F-4B4F-9E46-FF3383F3A04E.jpeg
    B0CF65C1-F07F-4B4F-9E46-FF3383F3A04E.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!

Raising temp was an old trick in the FW world, but SW is a different animal. I fail to see how 82-84 is going to accomplish anything, let alone 48 hours of darkness. Perhaps you can link to the research. Perhaps you are conflating correlation with causation. In a reef tank, ich does not have to be a major problem. I have seen many examples of successful ich management.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will certainly help.
When it boils down, ich is basically a stress disease.
If Ich is in a system some fish will show signs and symptoms and some may not.

If Ich is not in the system and the fish become stressed, they will not break out with Ich.

Either you have Ich in the system or you don’t. It doesn’t just appear if the fish is stressed. It has to be present in the system. So you’re right that stress can lead to symptoms “only” IF it’s already present.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back