Ich in tank, Don't have a quarantine tank set up

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response! I do have corals and cuc in my display so it’s recommended to fallow for 76 days then right? I plan to go a little longer the. 76 days and add a spare power head for dead spots.
So I will be quarantining 3 fish...is my 5 gallon too small for 3? 2 clownfish (1 to 1.5 inch) royal gramma 1.75 inch to 2 inch).
Only one clown has a few spots that I see and the other one is good. Royal gramma on the other hand has quite a bit. Still eating. Should I do a freshwater dip on the gramma?
plan is to set up the tank with a sponge filter no sand and get water from DT. Grab a cave decoration in the garage and a small piece of live rock from DT. Would this work? I’ll be using cuprimine. Thanks
5 gallon should be ok. make sure there are 3 caves(pvc pipes) at least. get a decent piece of live rock and add some new bio media( cheap ceramic rings will do). you can put the rock and media bag in the middle of the tank and pvc pipes on either sides giving fish some privacy. add bacteria in bottle as well. (over)feed the fish in DT. dip all three fish in freshwater + methylene blue or melafix(optional). keep lights off. use a wifi cam like wyze to monitor them from far.
start with 1 ml cuppermine and ramp it up to therapeutic level in 24-48 days. half a ml every 6 hours. feed before you add copper. stop if the fish start swimming vertically with mouth open or stop eating entirely. its too late for that fish. check copper level with hanna on second day and adjust as required.
if the fish survive they will be without spots in 4-7 days. don't reduce copper level till 14 days. if you have another 5 gallon tank then you can move them in that(with clean water) and observe. if they don't show any more signs then u can treat with prazi pro and general cure aaand done!!
it can be stressful so keep some beers handy.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that media works in the DT then it will certainly work in QT. disease and stress will kill the fish before ammonia spike provided the QT is set up with fresh/acceptable saltwater.
My friend tried quarantining new fish from a store and used media and it died the next day

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend tried quarantining new fish from a store and used media and it died the next day
sounds like he didn't acclimate the fish properly.
if you want to do an experiment then dump some food in a jug of saltwater and start testing for ammonia. it will be at least 48 hrs before test will show ammonia. even then fish can survive lower ammonia concentration( their gills will be getting burned by ammonia though) on top of that, it will still be a few days before gills' capacity to process oxygen is diminished.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like he didn't acclimate the fish properly.
if you want to do an experiment then dump some food in a jug of saltwater and start testing for ammonia. it will be at least 48 hrs before test will show ammonia. even then fish can survive lower ammonia concentration( their gills will be getting burned by ammonia though) on top of that, it will still be a few days before gills' capacity to process oxygen is diminished.
What do you think is the best (and fastest) way to cycle a tank. Any advice appreciated since just got another tank

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fastest - take seeded media from someone's tank.
best- the day you decide to start a tank put some media in a bucket with heater and pump for flow. drop some food in it after a day or two. ghost feed every week or two. by the time you get your tank set up media will be ready.
if you already have everything - start cycle with water at lower salinity. bacteria multiply much faster. buy bacteria in a bottle and ammonium chloride (dr tims) dose both daily till ur ammonia reaches 2 ppm. any higher than that and the cycle will crawl. maintain stable temp throughout the process.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fastest - take seeded media from someone's tank.
best- the day you decide to start a tank put some media in a bucket with heater and pump for flow. drop some food in it after a day or two. ghost feed every week or two. by the time you get your tank set up media will be ready.
if you already have everything - start cycle with water at lower salinity. bacteria multiply much faster. buy bacteria in a bottle and ammonium chloride (dr tims) dose both daily till ur ammonia reaches 2 ppm. any higher than that and the cycle will crawl. maintain stable temp throughout the process.
For my last tank I used dr tims then put fish in after a month, how ling do you think after using dr Tim’s I can add fish? Oh I didn’t know that lower salinity promotes bacterial growth. Thank you!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to instructions on Dr. Tim's one and only, if process is followed properly nthe tank should get cycled in 15 days(or 20days don't remember exactly). But it's a always a good idea to test regularly. Sand helps a lot. If you are going bare-bottom then put some sand in a deep container and put it in the sump. Remove it after 2-3 months once the bio filter is established.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to instructions on Dr. Tim's one and only, if process is followed properly nthe tank should get cycled in 15 days(or 20days don't remember exactly). But it's a always a good idea to test regularly. Sand helps a lot. If you are going bare-bottom then put some sand in a deep container and put it in the sump. Remove it after 2-3 months once the bio filter is established.
every new fish I try to add in regardless of different techniques I use, he always goes after the fish as if he’s trying to kill it. Doesn’t matter what size, shape, color or species the new fish is. Then only fish he doesn’t go after is my two clowns which are about 1/3 of his size, and my chromis. My diamond goby used to pick on my flameback but now they get along. When I try adding new fish I even take the flameback out for a few weeks then try putting him back but same thing. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Oh and I tried putting in a carpenters wrasse cause I know he can hide under the rocks but then my diamond goby got him so it’s like they teamed up

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every new fish I try to add in regardless of different techniques I use, he always goes after the fish as if he’s trying to kill it. Doesn’t matter what size, shape, color or species the new fish is. Then only fish he doesn’t go after is my two clowns which are about 1/3 of his size, and my chromis. My diamond goby used to pick on my flameback but now they get along. When I try adding new fish I even take the flameback out for a few weeks then try putting him back but same thing. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Oh and I tried putting in a carpenters wrasse cause I know he can hide under the rocks but then my diamond goby got him so it’s like they teamed up
who's he? if you have a troublesome fish better to take it out and trade it for a smaller size at an LFS.
Do you have pics of your tank?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
angels should be last ones to go in the tank. i've a coral angel in QT & he's gonna stay there till i have my other fish go in the display.
People say that with other fish too, like sixline wrasses or some tangs. Then which goes last haha

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs and angels should go together.you can use mirror trick or multiple feedings to call truce bw them. sixline should never go in at all unless you have like 5-6ft tank. Tangs and angels can make peace but sixlines won't stop till the other fish is dead or removed. and they don't care if the other fish is twice their size.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon should be ok. make sure there are 3 caves(pvc pipes) at least. get a decent piece of live rock and add some new bio media( cheap ceramic rings will do). you can put the rock and media bag in the middle of the tank and pvc pipes on either sides giving fish some privacy. add bacteria in bottle as well. (over)feed the fish in DT. dip all three fish in freshwater + methylene blue or melafix(optional). keep lights off. use a wifi cam like wyze to monitor them from far.
start with 1 ml cuppermine and ramp it up to therapeutic level in 24-48 days. half a ml every 6 hours. feed before you add copper. stop if the fish start swimming vertically with mouth open or stop eating entirely. its too late for that fish. check copper level with hanna on second day and adjust as required.
if the fish survive they will be without spots in 4-7 days. don't reduce copper level till 14 days. if you have another 5 gallon tank then you can move them in that(with clean water) and observe. if they don't show any more signs then u can treat with prazi pro and general cure aaand done!!
it can be stressful so keep some beers handy.
Hello, okay so to be clear I’m going to use a fluval evo 5 gallon. Would that work as it’s a plug and play tank. So I’ll put some bio balls in the back chambers.
I can vacuum the glass floor for ich but won’t be able to get to the back area of the tank where the bio balls and pump will be. Would that be a problem?
so once I treat them it’s best to move them to another tank? If I don’t what’s the best course of action? Just add carbon and filter floss and it will slowly remove the copper? Thanks

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, okay so to be clear I’m going to use a fluval evo 5 gallon. Would that work as it’s a plug and play tank. So I’ll put some bio balls in the back chambers.
I can vacuum the glass floor for ich but won’t be able to get to the back area of the tank where the bio balls and pump will be. Would that be a problem?
so once I treat them it’s best to move them to another tank? If I don’t what’s the best course of action? Just add carbon and filter floss and it will slowly remove the copper? Thanks
Sorry was away for the weekend. Ich will be present everywhere where QT water can go. Keep the fish for 4 weeks in copper then you can move them to new tank or use cuprisorb by seachem +water changes to remove the copper. Observe another week. Some strains of ich can survive. If you are going to move the fish to new observation tank then fresh water dip should help.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back