Ich in the tank! What do i do

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
View attachment 1090443 View attachment 1090441 Yesterday when i woke up, i saw my yellow tang with tiny white spots. I never saw one chromis till the end of the day where it shot out of a rock and look like it had a seizure. Then it died. The fish seemed to have ich. The tank is new and i ve had the yellow tang for almost 3 weeks now and it was doing fine. This morning i go to check on the tang and one of my clownfish seems to be developing ich. I only have 2 clowns 1 yellow tang and 1 chromis in my tank right now. Please help

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you get some pics? Velvet is usually too numerous to count. Ich is usually spots that you can count.

If it’s ich, you may choose to manage it. If it’s velvet you’ll want to treat ASAP. Both can be treated with copper, so if you aren’t sure it’s probably best to pull everyone out and treat with copper in a quarantine tank. Copper kills snails and coral so you can’t use it in your display.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It does sound like velvet - because of the 'darting around' of the chromes - the small size of the spots - and the rapidity. Suggest - take the fish out - QT them with therapeutic levels of Copper, leave your display fallow (no fish) for 76 days - or 6 weeks for velvet (why not just do it 76 days). BTW - pictures would be nice. Its hard to decide - but based on what you're saying - it sounds like velvet.

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Have you seen ich-spots in your tank before this current outbreak? I agree, photos might be helpful if you have any recent ones.

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
I also see some marks on the glass. Dont know if thats anything
20190602_163358.jpg

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers
OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
1559518544745870179437963055359.jpg
the clownfish shown also seems to be developing white spots. My lfs told me to get a uv sterilizer and after a couple days give the fish a freshwater dip. Should i do that?

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately. -to me - those look like a normal tang.... except the last - is it the salt like bumps under the skin?

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
You can see the dots in the fins in the second picture and the bumps seem like little salt specks

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Will it come in on time? Or can i buy it from some sort of store
I don't know. I can get same day shipping from Amazon. I haven't seen it widely carried in my area. Maybe call your LFS and see if they have it?

If you can't get the acriflavine quickly, I'd suggest a freshwater dip and then straight to the copper treatment. I wouldn't delay treatment as velvet kills quickly.

Lotus Reef