Ich in the tank! What do i do

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In a pinch, if you can’t get acriflavine easily or quickly... can try H202:

https://humble.fish/hydrogen-peroxide/

But yes, ruby reef rally and API Fungus Cure are the most readily available that I know of.

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok. So which would be the best. Api fungus care, hydrogen peroxide, or wait till tommorow and use the acriflavine

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
API Fungus Cure is mostly Acriflavine, so if you have that or can get it today that’s what I would use. The best choice is whatever you can use sooner... time isn’t on your side with velvet.

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
API Fungus Cure is mostly Acriflavine, so if you have that or can get it today that’s what I would use. The best choice is whatever you can use sooner... time isn’t on your side with velvet.
Thank you

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
The box im seeing online for the fungus cure says for freshwater aquariums. Should i still use it

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The box im seeing online for the fungus cure says for freshwater aquariums. Should i still use it
Yes, it’s fine to use for marine fish. Dosing instructions are the same, follow the label dosage and use a separate container/bucket. Keep temp controlled and aerated before and during bath. Let the fish in the bath for 90 minutes.

Then, transfer to QT and begin copper.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok. So which would be the best. Api fungus care, hydrogen peroxide, or wait till tommorow and use the acriflavine
The dip is probably not as important as getting medication started (i.e. copper or chloroquine) quickly. Though Humblefish has never saved a fish with freshwater dip and copper alone - I wouldn't wait a day to get chemicals for a bath. The H2O2 you should be able to get quickly. :). Good Luck with your fish

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I dont have a qt...
You likely won't be able to cure your fish without proper treatment in a separate tank (which is why someone provided the link to the treatment of velvet) - which is usually done in an emergency fashion. One problem - if you don't take the fish out and treat it - its likely that velvet will remain in your main tank - meaning - you can't really safely add new fish. Its really hard to treat with copper, etc in your main tank for multiple reasons. There are some very simple/cheap set up's for a QT tank. I would check those links - or perhaps others can point to one. .

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers
OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
You likely won't be able to cure your fish without proper treatment in a separate tank (which is why someone provided the link to the treatment of velvet) - which is usually done in an emergency fashion. One problem - if you don't take the fish out and treat it - its likely that velvet will remain in your main tank - meaning - you can't really safely add new fish. Its really hard to treat with copper, etc in your main tank for multiple reasons. There are some very simple/cheap set up's for a QT tank. I would check those links - or perhaps others can point to one. .
Should i use the water in my main display for my quarantine tank

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Should i use the water in my main display for my quarantine tank
It’s best practice to use clean saltwater instead, so that you are carrying over as little parasite-load as possible. Mix fresh saltwater and seed the QT with biospira or another bottled bacteria to prevent ammonia build-up.

And to answer your other question, there are many things you can do to help manage parasite-load in your DT, including running UV at a very slow rate, increasing flow, daily vacuuming of the substrate/tank bottom, feeding live and vitamin-enriched foods, etc.

But, there is no reef-safe treatment currently that will eradicate it. Treating the fish and going fallow for 6-weeks (76 days for ich) is the only way to be rid of it completely.

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
The tang seems to be doing better. No spots or velvet film. He is does seem to be breathing heavily though. I dont know if thats from being scared or what. Im going to pick up some pvc to make him feel safer.
20190604_153335.jpg

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
should i treat the clownfish and chromis with copper? Also, is a my 10 gallon qt big enough for my yellow tang and 2 small clownfish and a chromis

Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
is it ok that that the only filteration ill be using with the copper is some nitrate removing foam. I can get some biological filter from my freshwater tank. the thing the filter came with has carbon in it so ill have to take it out.

ScottB

View Badges
Reaction score
The tang seems to be doing better. No spots or velvet film. He is does seem to be breathing heavily though. I dont know if thats from being scared or what. Im going to pick up some pvc to make him feel safer.
20190604_153335.jpg
Glad to see you are working so quickly to implement the advice given. Very commendable. You will do well in this hobby. Hoping this first episode works out for your fish (and you). Good luck.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
is it ok that that the only filteration ill be using with the copper is some nitrate removing foam. I can get some biological filter from my freshwater tank. the thing the filter came with has carbon in it so ill have to take it out.
I would not use that - only because there is no way to know whether it will affect copper levels.?

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
View attachment 1090443 View attachment 1090441 Yesterday when i woke up, i saw my yellow tang with tiny white spots. I never saw one chromis till the end of the day where it shot out of a rock and look like it had a seizure. Then it died. The fish seemed to have ich. The tank is new and i ve had the yellow tang for almost 3 weeks now and it was doing fine. This morning i go to check on the tang and one of my clownfish seems to be developing ich. I only have 2 clowns 1 yellow tang and 1 chromis in my tank right now. Please help
Get a UV sterilizer ( helps some bacteria to die off but not ich only kills the active ich) and WITHOUT A DOUGHT DO QT WITH COPPER TREATMENT thats all you need.

Have you ever been accused of talking to much about your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 220 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 177 44.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Mistress Corals