Ich in the tank! What do i do

OttawaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
I wouldn't dose any product in a reef tank, and putting them in quarantine tank would only stress them out further. I would buy a uv sterilizer and run in in your display tank. I have done that before and it works.

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do NOT use Prime with copper

I wouldn’t use the foam either. If you can pick up a few bottles of bio-spira or Dr. Tim’s or other bacteria in a bottle products, that will help manage ammonia. Besides that, water changes. Just make sure the clean saltwater is dosed with copper to match the QT BEFORE it hits the tank.

For the heavy breathing... do you have a powerhead aimed at the surface and/or an air stone for aeration? Also, an ammonia alert badge (the test kits don’t work well with copper present)?

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
And yes, all fish that shared a tank with the tang will need treated. I’d definitely make sure the ammonia and aeration are ok before moving them over and starting copper.

Corals.com
OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s best practice to use clean saltwater instead, so that you are carrying over as little parasite-load as possible. Mix fresh saltwater and seed the QT with biospira or another bottled bacteria to prevent ammonia build-up.

And to answer your other question, there are many things you can do to help manage parasite-load in your DT, including running UV at a very slow rate, increasing flow, daily vacuuming of the substrate/tank bottom, feeding live and vitamin-enriched foods, etc.

But, there is no reef-safe treatment currently that will eradicate it. Treating the fish and going fallow for 6-weeks (76 days for ich) is the only way to be rid of it completely.
Should i ghost feed the display tank during fallow? Also, should i do the fallow for 6 weeks or 76 days?

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Should i ghost feed the display tank during fallow? Also, should i do the fallow for 6 weeks or 76 days?
Yes, feed your CUC and to keep a little nutrients in the water.

Personally, would do 76 days to be safe and free of any pests.

William DeCoursey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
No matter how it turns out, be proud of yourself for making a strong and timely effort. Looks like you're getting and are following some excellent advise.

OP
C

Camron hatamkhani

View Badges
Reaction score
I was going to feed my fish in the qt tonight when i came upon the chromis dead. I see clear circles on the bottom of the qt which look like flukes. Rest of fish are fine.
20190612_210751.jpg
20190612_210815.jpg

Will you watch revhtree on the LIVE #askBRStv show?

• Yes I'll tune in live at 1:30pm est!

Votes: 94 37.3%
  • No I'll have to catch the rerun!

Votes: 135 53.6%
  • Neither, I choose to make revhtree sad...

Votes: 23 9.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aqua SD
Ultimate Corals
Aquarium Automation for EVERYONE!
Red color accents to match all your OCTO gear!