Ich in the tank! What do i do

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Camron hatamkhani, Jun 2, 2019.

1. reefer2000

reefer2000 Member

Good keep us updated!

2. OttawaReefer

OttawaReefer New Member

I wouldn't dose any product in a reef tank, and putting them in quarantine tank would only stress them out further. I would buy a uv sterilizer and run in in your display tank. I have done that before and it works.

BadFish619 likes this.
  3. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Do NOT use Prime with copper

I wouldn’t use the foam either. If you can pick up a few bottles of bio-spira or Dr. Tim’s or other bacteria in a bottle products, that will help manage ammonia. Besides that, water changes. Just make sure the clean saltwater is dosed with copper to match the QT BEFORE it hits the tank.

For the heavy breathing... do you have a powerhead aimed at the surface and/or an air stone for aeration? Also, an ammonia alert badge (the test kits don’t work well with copper present)?

4. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

And yes, all fish that shared a tank with the tang will need treated. I’d definitely make sure the ammonia and aeration are ok before moving them over and starting copper.

MnFish1 likes this.
  5. Camron hatamkhani

Camron hatamkhani Member

how long should i do the fallow period

6. Camron hatamkhani

Camron hatamkhani Member

Should i ghost feed the display tank during fallow? Also, should i do the fallow for 6 weeks or 76 days?

7. ngoodermuth

Yes, feed your CUC and to keep a little nutrients in the water.

Personally, would do 76 days to be safe and free of any pests.

8. William DeCoursey

William DeCoursey Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

No matter how it turns out, be proud of yourself for making a strong and timely effort. Looks like you're getting and are following some excellent advise.

MnFish1 likes this.
  9. Camron hatamkhani

Camron hatamkhani Member

I was going to feed my fish in the qt tonight when i came upon the chromis dead. I see clear circles on the bottom of the qt which look like flukes. Rest of fish are fine. 20190612_210751.jpg 20190612_210815.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted