OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mention, how do you know the ammonia is creeping up? Ammonia test kits are invalid, you need to be using a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge (you may know this already).
I have an ammonia badge and its starting to turn green. Thanks @Josh Kraft

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an accurate reading on a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge, illuminate it from behind using a flashlight. The colors will be very clear and less muddled. And it's best to have the badge placed deeply in the tank. Sometimes the tank lighting can influence its performance in a bad way. So I like to place the badge about 1/2 way down the the wall of the tank. Hope this helps.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an accurate reading on a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge, illuminate it from behind using a flashlight. The colors will be very clear and less muddled. And it's best to have the badge placed deeply in the tank. Sometimes the tank lighting can influence its performance in a bad way. So I like to place the badge about 1/2 way down the the wall of the tank. Hope this helps.

This is actually interesting to me. And this isn't meant to steal a thread, but I think its kind of on topic.

I have 4 fish in a 20 gallon QT right now running copper. I have 2 badges, fairly close to the top. If you had to guess, how often should I need to do water changes based on badge results?

I am curious because I haven't seen my badges start to turn green ever, but I do water changes every 5-6 days because I'm nervous and my QT starts to look crappy. Algae covering the PVC fittings and tons of poop. Am I wasting my RODI filters / salt mix by doing this? Do you guys light your QTs to the point algae grows on your PVC fittings?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually interesting to me. And this isn't meant to steal a thread, but I think its kind of on topic.

I have 4 fish in a 20 gallon QT right now running copper. I have 2 badges, fairly close to the top. If you had to guess, how often should I need to do water changes based on badge results?

I am curious because I haven't seen my badges start to turn green ever, but I do water changes every 5-6 days because I'm nervous and my QT starts to look crappy. Algae covering the PVC fittings and tons of poop. Am I wasting my RODI filters / salt mix by doing this? Do you guys light your QTs to the point algae grows on your PVC fittings?

The amount of water changes in a QT varies quite a bit depending on bio-load, filter system (s) ( I use two: HOB filter and in tank foam bubble filter) etc. I usually do a 5 gal water change on my tanks every 3-5 days. Lighting is kept to a minimum to prevent algae growth. And yes algae still seems to grow on PVC fittings, etc. in the tank. Constant cleaning and observation.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone so i'm 2 weeks away from putting everyone back in my DT after going fallow. I did lose two fish during this process my PBT and one damsel fish which i'm really bummed out of it.
I have noticed that my clown is starting to build up some sort of white film over its body which i suspect a bacterial breakout. any suggestions on how to treat before they head back in the DT?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone so i'm 2 weeks away from putting everyone back in my DT after going fallow. I did lose two fish during this process my PBT and one damsel fish which i'm really bummed out of it.
I have noticed that my clown is starting to build up some sort of white film over its body which i suspect a bacterial breakout. any suggestions on how to treat before they head back in the DT?
Can you post a picture of the clown. There's a couple of possible issues.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back