Ich management with ozone?

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So just to give a bit of back ground I added a yellow tang a few months ago and then a month later moved tanks cue ich outbreak. To be expected as I only practice management & not QT due to space & time constraints. My mimic tang has maybe 10-15 spots around his scalpel. To manage this I have a big uv which I’ve just changed the bulb & manually calibrated the flow. I’m currently dosing hydrogen peroxide which is helping & reduces the numbers as the weeks pass by. My question been can I use ozone to take over this for me? I work full time as does my other half & staying up until midnight when you have 3 children & full time jobs is taking it’s toll...

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know multiple reefers who’ve managed ich outbreaks with UV and good husbandry alone, I don’t think either ozone or peroxide are required.

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know multiple reefers who’ve managed ich outbreaks with UV and good husbandry alone, I don’t think either ozone or peroxide are required.
So can ozone be used to replace peroxide dosing?

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sense that both will help breakdown organics and can sterilise pathogens, then yes.

Neither are a silver bullet for Ich and ozone can be quite complicated to implement.

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Never expected it to be a silver bullet as such just trying to avoid having to strip the system down & QT all my fish. Looks like I’m not going to be able to

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed healthy and diverse food.

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Never expected it to be a silver bullet as such just trying to avoid having to strip the system down & QT all my fish. Looks like I’m not going to be able to
As I mentioned I know a lot of reefers with large, established tanks that were too big to feasibly break down, who manage Ich on an ongoing basis just through husbandry and large UV units.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back