Ich & Marine Velvet

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought fish from a LFS that have quarantined for a number of weeks and kept in tank with copper.
However I have brought home and they still catch Ich.

Recently I brought home a Caribbean Blue Tang, my tank was fallow over 2 months of any disease as it was recently set up and had existing live stock nothing new was added.
The carib blue tang now has what I believe to be marine velvet, it has showed symptoms for over 20 days white dusting spots and less than 24 hours dissappear. I have been treating for this time with polyp lab aquamedic no other fish are infected. It is just one fish affected.

How can I bring home a fish infected that is treated in copper but also how can I have only 1 fish affected by a serious marine condition after 20+ days?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry about the issues. I will say if it was velvet it would not have lasted this long. At the LFS was it kept at a low dose of copper to suppress ich or therapeutic levels to kill it?

Maybe @Big G or @saltyhog is around

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry about the issues. I will say if it was velvet it would not have lasted this long. At the LFS was it kept at a low dose of copper to suppress ich or therapeutic levels to kill it?

Maybe @Big G or @saltyhog is around
Not sure of the levels but its seperate system to inverts and corals. Initally I thought was Ich due to odd white spot but since then its a dusting with dark to yellowy colouring over dorsal fin.

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the levels but its seperate system to inverts and corals. Initally I thought was Ich due to odd white spot but since then its a dusting with dark to yellowy colouring over dorsal fin.
But its only affecting the one fish. And he is eating fine, competes with others for the food.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics and some info on your system? That will help us see. Also, how is breathing and eating going?

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is pic I took last night. I can't get a good picture now with whites on. One spot is still there though.

Eating has always been fine and no issues with his breathing.

Nitrates 5
Phosphates 0
Salinity 1.025
dKH 7.5
Ph 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Started off with a few white spots which I thought was Ich, had dissappeared the following morning. Then next day had the dusting etc which also dissappeared the following day. And has cycled through that every few days. This has been going on for over 20 days now.

I've been using the maximum dosage of polyplab morning and evening.

Instructions say to only use for 20 days. Thinking I should do a water change if i'm to continue using it.

20200708_081435.jpg

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can really only trust yourself to qurantine unless you got fish directly from Humblefish or Marine Collectors.

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the raised spot cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower looking in texture?
No just looked like a solid rounded cyst. It has gone now, this one lasted the longest on the fish around 36 hours, previous ones disappeared within 24 hours.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just looked like a solid rounded cyst. It has gone now, this one lasted the longest on the fish around 36 hours, previous ones disappeared within 24 hours.
Cysts can be problematic as they can contain thousand of spores that could be released into the tank if the cyst pops vs being reabsorbed by the body. Breeders will remove the fish to isolate until the cyst clears.

Back