Ich Maybe...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pick up a seachem kit locally, I would highly recommend. API is tough especially at low levels.
Or check this out! Thread is way long, but first post will tell you most of what you need to know.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/
I fear that you may not be therapeutic yet. Although it is not uncommon for fish to be past the point of living when infected with velvet once you see the tell tale signs.

OP
OP
loki6969

loki6969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just a follow up lost a lot of fish but still, have the trigger a Scopas tang and a blue hippo tang some chromis and the eel is fine. All but the hippo tang looks good the blue hippo tang is not swimming around much he cannot keep upright. lays o nth bottom of the QT tank. Not sure what to do any ideas ?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just a follow up lost a lot of fish but still, have the trigger a Scopas tang and a blue hippo tang some chromis and the eel is fine. All but the hippo tang looks good the blue hippo tang is not swimming around much he cannot keep upright. lays o nth bottom of the QT tank. Not sure what to do any ideas ?

What copper product are you using and which test kit?

What is your copper level reading?

OP
OP
loki6969

loki6969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using cupramine and salifert test kit and the levels are 0.25 to .50 it is a little darker than the 0.25.He is trying to swim sideways but lays on the bottoms of the tank and move his fins.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up. Therapeutic level for cupramine is .5ppm. Did you follow the directions per the Mfg?

Make sure to read carefully. It says dose, then re-dose in 48hrs. .25ppm may be enough to hinder the parasites, but it is not high enough to erradicate.

As I mentioned above I was worried that you may not be to the therapeutic level. I would dose up to .5ppm. you can break it up into smaller amounts and spread them out to ramp up to the level. Being that you are dealing with velvet and the amount of time that has passed I would do it in no more than 24hrs Max.

Good luck.

OP
OP
loki6969

loki6969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back and reread this part and understand it now. The clock starts again is see and the therapeutic level is 5.ppm I will attain that within 24-48 hoursand hold that level for 30 days.

A therapeutic level must be maintained at all times during the 30 days, so testing often is important. If the level drops even slightly out of range, then the 30-day clock restarts. One reason your copper level may drop unexpectedly is if you are treating in a tank with rock and substrate; these should be avoided with copper due to absorption. Conversely, if you exceed the therapeutic range you risk killing the fish. :eek:

Copper is a poison, pure and simple. It only works because most fish are able to withstand being in it longer than the parasites. Knowing this, it is wise to raise your copper level very slowly (over 5-7 days) instead of the usual 24-48 hour label directions. Doing so increases your odds of successfully treating a “copper sensitive” fish. The one exception to this rule is if Marine Velvet Disease is suspected. Due to it's fast killing nature you would want to raise the copper level to therapeutic within 24-48 hours when treating for velvet. Remove copper after 30 days by doing a large water change and using a Poly Filter, Cuprisorb, etc.

OP
OP
loki6969

loki6969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright just to close this thread I only had one fish live that was the trigger I am just going to let the tank stay the way it is till I decide what to do...Quit or start again. I really appreciate all of the advice that I have received.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back