Ich medications why are they still in business?

Bensonthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering why no one went after this companies who claims their medication works for ich and marine velvet but majority says only copper is the way to go. I assume reefers have the big bucks to go after this companies. I did try copper power but zero survival rate in my experience.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copper power is tried and true. I haven’t lost a fish in copper that wasn’t already going to make it to begin with. I think most of this other “Ich” meds are just like taking Advil for a backache. Back problems are still there but we just subdued them with advil. Go to the doctor to fix the root cause of the back issue. In our case copper power would be the end all for ich and velvet. I’m sure @Jay Hemdal could add to this as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering why no one went after this companies who claims their medication works for ich and marine velvet but majority says only copper is the way to go. I assume reefers have the big bucks to go after this companies. I did try copper power but zero survival rate in my experience.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

There is no regulation in the US regarding home aquarium fish remedies - anyone can make up a formula and claim it can cure any disease they choose. Additionally, there are very few actual R&D facilities, and those, like the old Kordon Lab are often just one person. Therefore, there are basically three types of home aquarium medications available: products extrapolated from fisheries science (copper, antibiotics) products extrapolated from human herbal tonics (tea oil, garlic) and then pure snake oil (won't name names, but literally stuff that is just made up to sell product).

I won't use a product that won't list its ingredients on the bottle - EVER! I also won't use a product that has ingredients that are not well-documented in my reference books (Noga, Herwig, etc.)

In my opinion, the four biggest causes of fish loss in home aquariums are: misdiagnosis, starting treatment too late, not quarantining fish, and using hokum medications.

Hope that helps!

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back