Ich on Clown?

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair of clowns for the past 6 months. Recently have added a few other fish into the system. Today I noticed some small white “spots” on one of my clowns. I’ve also noticed that the spots on his tail have been changing shape. None of the fish I’ve added into the tank recently have displayed any sort of ich symptoms. This fish eats and swims fine.
Just curious if to anyone else it looks like a disease or if this could just be normal color change to the fish.

3B4CFECA-5544-4EE1-9197-9DCA9B323D6B.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing in shape? Do the spots themselves expand or change or do they fall off and come back in different spaces?
I do agree that it looks like ich. The best option is to move all fish into a quarantine tank and treat with copper, leaving the display tank fishless for 45 days at the minimum. If you have no inverts or corals, hyposalinity is a treatment option.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had a pair of clowns for the past 6 months. Recently have added a few other fish into the system. Today I noticed some small white “spots” on one of my clowns. I’ve also noticed that the spots on his tail have been changing shape. None of the fish I’ve added into the tank recently have displayed any sort of ich symptoms. This fish eats and swims fine.
Just curious if to anyone else it looks like a disease or if this could just be normal color change to the fish.

Before concluding ich, can you post pics of entire fish ?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for ich. Suggest you also purchase Hydroplex and do a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on the fish. Further treatment in hospital tank with copper will still be needed. Good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It dos look like ich, but white spots are tough to see on a white fish. Can you get a whole fish picture? The only thing that gives me pause for thought is that typically, when new fish bring a disease in, they are the first to show spots.
Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich to me, and fins are usually the first place to show it.

If it's the only one showing symptoms, and it doesn't get worse, and your other fishes are hardy like clowns, I might observe for now.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich to me, and fins are usually the first place to show it.

If it's the only one showing symptoms, and it doesn't get worse, and your other fishes are hardy like clowns, I might observe for now.
I think that strategy is a plan for disaster.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that strategy is a plan for disaster.
It depends. If things get worse and you wait too long, then sure. Ich is a really slow killer. Maybe no one else will show symptoms.

If you have clowns, wrasses, gobies/blennies, I would see how it goes before tearing the tank apart. If things get worse, then catching and treating fish is best.

I prophylactically treat my new fish in qt, but the ich is already in the tank at this point, so we're past that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back