Ich on Clownfish

ReeferintheSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure one of my clowns has Ich. Here is a picture. I quickly started setting up a QT and took out the bio filter media from DT for the Fluval HOB on QT. I did this for the beneficial bacteria..... but now my QT may be infected. Should I dump the water, ditch the bio media from the DT and start over?

My plan is to quarantine both Clowns and dose copper. I'll have my DT fishless for... what is it? 72 days? 45 days?

Thanks for the help!

20210704_221040.jpg

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure one of my clowns has Ich. Here is a picture. I quickly started setting up a QT and took out the bio filter media from DT for the Fluval HOB on QT. I did this for the beneficial bacteria..... but now my QT may be infected. Should I dump the water, ditch the bio media from the DT and start over?

My plan is to quarantine both Clowns and dose copper. I'll have my DT fishless for... what is it? 72 days? 45 days?

Thanks for the help!

20210704_221040.jpg
Just start copper. The QT will be infected once you put the fish in it anyway. U will need that media to cycle your QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help!

20210704_221040.jpg

Ditto on that - by virtue of moving the fish, your QT is going to be infected, so use the biomedia from your DT. What copper are your going to use? Do you have a good test kit? Are there any other fish in the tank? If so you'll need to treat them also.

How long to leave your DT fallow is open to question, there are variables. If your DT has coral and delicate invertebrates, you may need to let it run for up to 75 days. If you can raise the temperature to above 81, you can shorten that time to as little as 45 days.

Jay

OP
OP
ReeferintheSky

ReeferintheSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on that - by virtue of moving the fish, your QT is going to be infected, so use the biomedia from your DT. What copper are your going to use? Do you have a good test kit? Are there any other fish in the tank? If so you'll need to treat them also.

How long to leave your DT fallow is open to question, there are variables. If your DT has coral and delicate invertebrates, you may need to let it run for up to 75 days. If you can raise the temperature to above 81, you can shorten that time to as little as 45 days.

Jay
Thank you for the info, Jay.

There are no other fish in DT. I do have a CUC. I ended up taking the bio media out of the filter before I went to bed last night. Once I saw your message this morning I went and put it back in. It was out of water for 8 hours . I'm guessing the bacteria is dead?

I don't have copper yet or a testing kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, Jay.

There are no other fish in DT. I do have a CUC. I ended up taking the bio media out of the filter before I went to bed last night. Once I saw your message this morning I went and put it back in. It was out of water for 8 hours . I'm guessing the bacteria is dead?

I don't have copper yet or a testing kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
No - the bacteria is mostly still alive unless you washed the rock in FW or something.

Just avoid the API test kit, the hanna checker is the best, but expensive. The Salifert test kit is pretty good.

Be sure to dose your copper based on how much water is in the tank, not its rated capacity (that is usually much more - a 29 gallon tank only holds 22 gallons for example).

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back