Ich on Diamond Goby?

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, want some suggestions from you guys. I ordered this diamond goby online, and I spotted some white spots on its fins after I released it to my 25g tank (within 2 or 3 minutes). I took couple photos, and I am kind of sure that this is ich, but still want to confirm.

Would this be a huge problem for the two clown fishes in my tank right now? And how should I deal with the goby? I am new to the hobby and does not have a QT right now...

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1336.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, want some suggestions from you guys. I ordered this diamond goby online, and I spotted some white spots on its fins after I released it to my 25g tank (within 2 or 3 minutes). I took couple photos, and I am kind of sure that this is ich, but still want to confirm.

Would this be a huge problem for the two clown fishes in my tank right now? And how should I deal with the goby? I am new to the hobby and does not have a QT right now...

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1336.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That does look like ich. If the spots come and go over time, and generally increase in numbers, that would confirm it. This could just be sand or detritus stuck to the fish’s mucus. In that case, the spots will go away and not return.

You should contact the dealer to let them know.

Treating in a new tank is tough, I presume there are invertebrates in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
G

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! And unfortunately, yes, I already have corals in the tank...

It's kind of a tricky situation. I feel like I am morally responsible for the fish's well-being, but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a QT right now, even though I know I would need it anyways down the road.
Should I just surrender it to a LFS?

Also, since I have put the goby into my tank for couple minutes, should I be worried about my clown fishes?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any side shots of fish showing dots also ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! And unfortunately, yes, I already have corals in the tank...

It's kind of a tricky situation. I feel like I am morally responsible for the fish's well-being, but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a QT right now, even though I know I would need it anyways down the road.
Should I just surrender it to a LFS?

Also, since I have put the goby into my tank for couple minutes, should I be worried about my clown fishes?

You should first confirm that it is ich. However, where is the goby now? Since it was shipped to you, it is going to be really stressed. Holding it in isolation (as opposed to a regular tank) is going to increase that stress.

There isn't really any way to know if the clownfish have been exposed or not - the presumption would be that they have been. Exposure by itself does not always mean they will contract it, but in a new tank, it is more likely that they will.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back