ICH ON TANG

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I’m fairly certain I saw ich on a blue tang I just added. I trusted my aquarium maintenance service to quarantine with copper before they added the fish - maybe they did maybe they didn’t - hard to say. I know the only right way is to do it yourself.

however things are what they are - the rest of the fish seem relatively alright. I bought a UV sterilizer that will be here tomorrow. However is there anything else I can do manage this potential outbreak? I’m almost 100% sure the tang and foxface will die if I try to QT and I do have a QT tank but it’s only 29g - thats never going to work for these larger fish. Any advice? I’m open to anything to save as many as possible. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pictures speak a thousand words. Please take some under white light. Can also be lymphocystis, flukes or velvet. With ich, you can generally count the dots but there will also be scratching, refusal to eat and darting.

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I did not take any pictures when I saw it but there 10 unmistakable white dots. I do have a bad quality video of the tang and this is literally all it did the entire day. It did seem to eat very limited amounts.

as an aside I may be able to set up a 55g QT tank for the larger fish but I’m still worried to do that immediately because I think the additional stress may be fatal.

apologies for the low quality Ring video. I would take a picture of the tang white spots but they’re not there anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_8889.MP4
    12.5 MB
OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video if it doesn’t show - the tang continued to chase its reflection for countless hours. I put up a towel to help it stop doing that and it’s hiding in the cave. Hard to tell exactly but looked like it could be scratching itself.

thanks again guys for any and all help!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you qurantine the tang and foxface, ich is now in your system. That's another problem. (Bigger problem)

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I guess my question is really is there anything I can do other than UV and feed heavy to try to battle through it ? So far I haven’t seen any white spots on any fish including the tang anymore. Unfortunately I didn’t grab a pic at the beginning.
Obviously this situation is not ideal and I’ve learned my lesson but I guess I just want to know the best angle of attack to save the most fish possible! 3 moves in 2 days for the new additions I think will be fatal but I guess that’s just my gut feeling vs what may be a fact

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I guess my question is really is there anything I can do other than UV and feed heavy to try to battle through it ? So far I haven’t seen any white spots on any fish including the tang anymore. Unfortunately I didn’t grab a pic at the beginning.
Obviously this situation is not ideal and I’ve learned my lesson but I guess I just want to know the best angle of attack to save the most fish possible! 3 moves in 2 days for the new additions I think will be fatal but I guess that’s just my gut feeling vs what may be a fact
How are the fish holding up now?

OP
OP
blizariondds

blizariondds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Sorry I forgot to update. The great news is everything remained symptom free and the tang is now spot free. I’m assuming it wasn’t ich because I have experienced that before and things went south within 36 hours. Wanted to thank you all for the help!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Sorry I forgot to update. The great news is everything remained symptom free and the tang is now spot free. I’m assuming it wasn’t ich because I have experienced that before and things went south within 36 hours. Wanted to thank you all for the help!
Good to hear. Sounds like the UV is doing crowd control on the pests.

I'd say it is quite likely that this really is ich though. Something that wipes out your fish in 36 hours sounds more like velvet to me.

Ich can be managed with UV, low stress and a healthy diet as you are doing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back