Ich or Brooklynella? maybe both?

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was ich, but some of the visual symptoms seem more like brooklynella - is it just one, or could it be both? If you look at the second picture, is that a sore on the head of the center clownfish?

IMG_6775.JPEG
IMG_6795.JPEG
IMG_6787.JPEG
IMG_6777.JPEG

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell, but ich (white spot) is very common.
QT tank and meds if you can. I treated ich in tank with polyp lab medic but a qt is prob better.
Also, my clown was so run down by ich he was just laying on the sand. I added hydrogen peroxide to increase the o2 in the water (only use this as a last resort and research first).

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at photos of marine velvet all night. I think I read every article/study the internet offers. That unfortunately looks a lot like the photos I was seeing of velvet. It may be worth waiting for someone who has dealt with it to confirm though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was ich, but some of the visual symptoms seem more like brooklynella - is it just one, or could it be both? If you look at the second picture, is that a sore on the head of the center clownfish?

IMG_6775.JPEG
IMG_6795.JPEG
IMG_6787.JPEG
IMG_6777.JPEG
I’ve never seen it happen, but it does look like the fish have symptoms of both Brook and ich. You can rule out velvet unless the fish are breathing hard/fast.
The trouble is, Brook and ich have different treatments and both need to be done in a treatment tank, do you have one available to use?
Jay

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! Oh no this is going to get complicated I see. In this tank I have these two clownfish, the gramma; along with a flame hawkfish and christmas wrasse (H. claudia).

My clownfish don't seem bothered despite their apparent condition - they're not flashing, swim fine and have appetite. The hawkfish and wrasse don't really have any visible symptoms of anything, though the wrasse will flash.

Up until a few hours ago, my gramma was only flashing, but I found it tilted at the surface, swimming into the current; maybe breathing...deeply? is what I'm going to call it. I gave it a ~3 minute fw dip to help alleviate some of its symptoms until I can set up a qt tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! Oh no this is going to get complicated I see. In this tank I have these two clownfish, the gramma; along with a flame hawkfish and christmas wrasse (H. claudia).

My clownfish don't seem bothered despite their apparent condition - they're not flashing, swim fine and have appetite. The hawkfish and wrasse don't really have any visible symptoms of anything, though the wrasse will flash.

Up until a few hours ago, my gramma was only flashing, but I found it tilted at the surface, swimming into the current; maybe breathing...deeply? is what I'm going to call it. I gave it a ~3 minute fw dip to help alleviate some of its symptoms until I can set up a qt tank
Well, with the gramma having breathing issues, that muddles the diagnosis. At his point, the best I can suggest is to give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip and get them into a QT. Then, you’ll need to decide to treat for ich/velvet and go with copper or treat for Brook with formalin.
Jay

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay. It seems I underestimated how much time I had - I lost the gramma and a clownfish already :(

Can I do a 45m formalin bath, put them in a clean QT, then add copper a day or two later to give them a chance to rest? or should I not combine treatments this way

and to be clear, all the fish have brook, right? it may affect clownfish, but the other fish need to be treated too, correct?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all fish will succumb to Brook, but I don’t know if anyone has ever developed a comprehensive list. I’ve only had issues with clownfish, basslets and some wrasses.
I think your formalin dip, followed by copper sounds good. Do you need help calculating the formalin dip?
Jay

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I chickened out of the FW dip. I prepped everything according to the humblefish website, but my clownfish went instantly catatonic - I panicked and put it back in the DT (so it was in there for like 30s tops). It had some frayed fins but seemed to recover. I can try again tomorrow; now that I remember it said some fish wouldn't immediately react well.

I would really appreciate the help/confirmation - If I do a formalin bath (for all my fish, just to be safe?) is it 0.6mL/gal? I have 37% formalin. If I use a 3 gal bucket, I just add ~1.8 mL to freshly mixed salt water, aerating 30 min before and during the bath?

Oh. and can I just sacrifice some sand from my dt to put in a dish in the qt for my wrasse? or do I have to buy new, special substrate?

Actually, can I just use formalin as the treatment for both diseases, in the qt tank? It seems a 10 day treatment might do that, but I'm not sure how many people have experience with this.

Thank you for your help!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I chickened out of the FW dip. I prepped everything according to the humblefish website, but my clownfish went instantly catatonic - I panicked and put it back in the DT (so it was in there for like 30s tops). It had some frayed fins but seemed to recover. I can try again tomorrow; now that I remember it said some fish wouldn't immediately react well.

I would really appreciate the help/confirmation - If I do a formalin bath (for all my fish, just to be safe?) is it 0.6mL/gal? I have 37% formalin. If I use a 3 gal bucket, I just add ~1.8 mL to freshly mixed salt water, aerating 30 min before and during the bath?

Oh. and can I just sacrifice some sand from my dt to put in a dish in the qt for my wrasse? or do I have to buy new, special substrate?

Actually, can I just use formalin as the treatment for both diseases, in the qt tank? It seems a 10 day treatment might do that, but I'm not sure how many people have experience with this.

Thank you for your help!!!
Yes - that's the standard formalin dose for a dip. I run those dips for 45 minutes.

Formalin doesn't work well for ich. I think the static dose (24 hour dose) of 25 mg/l is too low to kill the theronts. Just my opinion - after the formalin dip, I would start copper. However, you are going to need some non-calcareous sand for the wrasse, silica sand perhaps? Some people put that in a plastic Tupperware container at the bottom of the tank as opposed to placing it throughout the tank.

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back