Ich or flukes?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I start copper I know I need to remove carbon and purigen. I have a couple very small pieces of lr, a few empty hermit shells, and a bio bag that I took from one of my nanos to seed the tank. Will all of that need to be removed too?

Absorption from them should be minimal, but test your Cu level daily just to be safe.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This's what a fw dip yielded a few minutes ago. Same as the last one... Bunch of TINY white specks
IMG_3121.JPG

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absorption from them should be minimal, but test your Cu level daily just to be safe.

Thank you. I was hoping you'd say that. What are your thoughts on that pic I just uploaded? You can see the specks I'm talking about but I can't make out what they are or are not

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was hoping you'd say that. What are your thoughts on that pic I just uploaded? You can see the specks I'm talking about but I can't make out what they are or are not

Did you actually see those come off/out the fish? If so, I suspect you are dealing with a prazi resistant strain of flukes here.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see them coming off of him. I do know for certain that they weren't in the bowl until he was in there. I double and triple checked before putting him in. Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after the dip I found him dead. I'm not certain why. I used temp and ph matched distilled and he looked no more stressed than the first time I dipped him. He didn't look any worse than the exquisite wrasse or clown I dipped a few months ago(both of which are fine in dt). My focus is now treating the other two wrasses in the qt. I just don't know where to go from here

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see them coming off of him. I do know for certain that they weren't in the bowl until he was in there. I double and triple checked before putting him in. Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after the dip I found him dead. I'm not certain why. I used temp and ph matched distilled and he looked no more stressed than the first time I dipped him. He didn't look any worse than the exquisite wrasse or clown I dipped a few months ago(both of which are fine in dt). My focus is now treating the other two wrasses in the qt. I just don't know where to go from here

I would assume you are dealing with a prazi resistant strain of flukes here and drop the SG down to 1.011 for 5 days to eliminate them.

The only other way I know of dealing with prazi resistant flukes is by doing formalin baths, followed by transfer into a new QT each time. But I wouldn't be too keen about using formalin on a wrasse. o_O

loss.gif

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume you are dealing with a prazi resistant strain of flukes here and drop the SG down to 1.011 for 5 days to eliminate them.

The only other way I know of dealing with prazi resistant flukes is by doing formalin baths, followed by transfer into a new QT each time. But I wouldn't be too keen about using formalin on a wrasse. o_O

loss.gif

Ok, thank you. How do I go about safely dropping it and then bringing it back up?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you. How do I go about safely dropping it and then bringing it back up?

You can safely drop it down in a day or two. Just go slowly and do it a little bit at a time.

Bringing it back up is another thing entirely. I would top off using SW (instead of RODI) until target SG has ben reached. This may take a week or two, during which time you can observe the fish to make sure symptoms do not return.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just reading a thread you'd written on it. Should I do 1g freshwater water changes every few hours until I've reached it or something? I apologize if I'm being difficult, I've no experience with this and don't want to be responsible for any more deaths

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a ph pointed towards the surface and an hob fluval filter(rated for 70g) for flow/aeration. I used an airstone during prazi, should I also use it for hypo?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do 1g freshwater water changes every few hours until I've reached it or something?

Yes, that should work fine. Except I would drip the freshwater into the QT. Or pour 1/4 gal in every hour. You want the drop in SG to be gradual.

I apologize if I'm being difficult, I've no experience with this and don't want to be responsible for any more deaths
You aren't being difficult. This is a very unusual situation - to encounter prazi resistant flukes. I which I was nearby to collect a sampling of them. :D

I currently have a ph pointed towards the surface and an hob fluval filter(rated for 70g) for flow/aeration. I used an airstone during prazi, should I also use it for hypo?
Yes; you're also going to want to monitor pH as SG drops and use "baked" baking soda to buffer it as needed. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that should work fine. Except I would drip the freshwater into the QT. Or pour 1/4 gal in every hour. You want the drop in SG to be gradual.

You aren't being difficult. This is a very unusual situation - to encounter prazi resistant flukes. I which I was nearby to collect a sampling of them. :D

Yes; you're also going to want to monitor pH as SG drops and use "baked" baking soda to buffer it as needed. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

Thank you again for all of your help. I appreciate this tremendously

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two hermits and two dwarf cerinths that hitchiked with those pieces of lr. If you think there's a chance that flukes may be on them or in some of the water I syphon out while I lower sg, I'd be more than happy to ship them to you. I'm sure I have an extra Tupperware container and I can quadruple ziplock bag it if need be. I know I have at least 1 one cooler from LA and cold packs

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two hermits and two dwarf cerinths that hitchiked with those pieces of lr. If you think there's a chance that flukes may be on them or in some of the water I syphon out while I lower sg, I'd be more than happy to ship them to you. I'm sure I have an extra Tupperware container and I can quadruple ziplock bag it if need be. I know I have at least 1 one cooler from LA and cold packs

I appreciate the offer, but I'm currently living in a hotel. :eek:

Wife & I should be settled in Florida soon though, and I'll get my "lab" back up & running. ;)

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright man.

Thank you again for everything. I'm really hoping its flukes and hypo will get these ladies out of harm's way. I've gone from 1.025-1.020 since ~3pm yesterday. I'll keep slowly lowering it today and hopefully reach 1.010 by tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I won't have to, but I'll update this thread if I run into any more problems

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry @Humblefish . I have a couple more questions.

I'm still working my way down and am at 1.014. Since I'm doing hypo, are those small rocks still ok in there? What about the little carbon and purigen pouches I have in the hob filter?

Lastly, when I start upping salinity, you said to top off to get it back up. Should I be topping off at 1.025, or should I go slightly higher/lower?

Thank you!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working my way down and am at 1.014. Since I'm doing hypo, are those small rocks still ok in there? What about the little carbon and purigen pouches I have in the hob filter?

Those are all fine, although the rock may experience some die-off. So, keep a close eye on the ammonia.

Lastly, when I start upping salinity, you said to top off to get it back up. Should I be topping off at 1.025, or should I go slightly higher/lower?

1.025 is fine

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back