Ich or micro bubble buildup?

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a yellow wrasse last week. Just noticed this morning that he gets a buildup of micro bubbles on him? When I shut off the skimmer that is in the main tank, the dots go away completely. He does not rub on anything and eats with the rest of the fish. Could it still be ich? P.S. this is the best photo I could get of him and the area I noticed was the tail.

IMG_20221030_102647.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got a yellow wrasse last week. Just noticed this morning that he gets a buildup of micro bubbles on him? When I shut off the skimmer that is in the main tank, the dots go away completely. He does not rub on anything and eats with the rest of the fish. Could it still be ich? P.S. this is the best photo I could get of him and the area I noticed was the tail.

IMG_20221030_102647.jpg
With their heavy slime coat, likely bubbles
While bubbles not of great harm , they can enter the fish via oral /mouth area and reach the bladder causing buoyancy issue as well as orbit area which is the weakest part of fish contributing to popeye
Find bubble source and reduce or eliminate it which generally is the skimmer or return pump sitting in shallow water

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell. If you can cycle your skimmer several times a day (to test) and the spots come and go completely then not consistent with the life cycle of ich. BTW that dolomite gravel, or whatever it is, is too large for a sand sleeping wrasse imo. You want something the size of Caribe Sea Fiji Pink.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell. If you can cycle your skimmer several times a day (to test) and the spits come and go completely then not consistent with the life cycle of ich. BTW that dolomite gravel, or whatever it is, is too large for a sand sleeping wrasse imo. You want something the size of Caribe Sea Fiji Pink.
I have that on the left half of the tank, three inches deep. I'm adding it to the right after another week. The fish hid on the right when I was removing it and I didn't want to stress them out more by removing the side they wouldn't get out of.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back