Ich or micro bubbles

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think my lion may have ich but not sure, hes swimming/eating normally but has these specks on him look like salt or sand bumps, they are on his fins as well.

20210618_162244.jpg 20210618_163020.jpg 20210618_163113.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not micro bubbles. Lions fish can get ich.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one 15years ago with ich, lost nearly all my fish. Don’t suppose this is a fish only tank?
Sadly no got some starfish/urchins and what not, I do have a separate tank though so if is ich ill need to quarantine and treat him in there

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no got some starfish/urchins and what not, I do have a separate tank though so if is ich ill need to quarantine and treat him in there
For what it’s worth, I’ve had it in a reef and it just went away, slowly declining over time. Healthy food and a UV is what I employed but I would never conclude that it was a cure.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve had it in a reef and it just went away, slowly declining over time. Healthy food and a UV is what I employed but I would never conclude that it wa
An ich treatment if nothin wrong wouldnt hurt em would it? First time dealin with ich in my 3 yrs of havin saltwater lol

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ich treatment if nothin wrong wouldnt hurt em would it? First time dealin with ich in my 3 yrs of havin saltwater lol
I don’t think any invert friendly ich treatment will work. I tried them and did nowt. Perhaps they've discovered a new magical formula in the last 15 years, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any invert friendly ich treatment will work. I tried them and did nowt. Perhaps they've discovered a new magical formula in the last 15 years, but I doubt it.
Nah i mean like having him in a quarantine tank and using ich treatment there, then if no signs/its gone transfer back to DT. If isnt ich though would the treatment harm my lion is what im wonderin

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The are three documented ways to rid ick.
TTM would be the least invasive, Hypo second and Copper 3rd.
I never tried on this fish, but logically TTM is safest, IMM.

And 72-76 days fallow in the DT if you don’t like risk.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the TTM would I just keep emptying the QT water with a fresh batch each time? Or you think a 3 day copper treatment in QT be best bet for it

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hes not too big maybe 4 inches so would be in a bare bottom 10g with a pvc to hide

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s fine.
This is mine….just simple
You’ll need to manage ammonia through either WC or precycled rock or both.
I toss this out when finished, probably overkill, but I want nothing going back to DT, except a cured fish.
B1F00A74-B129-4EE8-A371-E9E4DD4A17AF.jpeg

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank parameters are
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.025
Amonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
Phosphate 0.18 ppm
(Water change is today 20%) or go bigger?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great question.
I have not treated that fish before.
TTM is the easiest if you got two buckets, two heaters, two sponge filters. Seems easier on the fish.

Hypo, I would think that would work as well.

Copper, ya, no clue, is great on hardy type fish, sometimes bad for fish with scales….. @Jay Hemdal might be able to help you decide.

Must be a member whose treated this fish before.
Hopefully they can chin me.

I does not look like a bad case, I would move him if you notice the spots gone in the next couple of days, then follow TTM moving protocol going forward. DT goes with no fish for 72-76 days for 99% certainty is gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great question.
I have not treated that fish before.
TTM is the easiest if you got two buckets, two heaters, two sponge filters. Seems easier on the fish.

Hypo, I would think that would work as well.

Copper, ya, no clue, is great on hardy type fish, bad for fish with scales….. @Jay Hemdal might be able to help you decide.
Ya >< its my first ich so no idea how to go about it but know my inverts cant do copper so its QT for sure or TTM

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM won’t work in this case; you could clear the lion fish by moving it tank to tank, but if you move it back to your display before a good fallow period has taken place (45-76 days) the fish will likely just become reinfected.
Coppersafe in a QT for 30 days and then hold the lion there until the fallow period is over would be best. Another option - if you have lower value invertebrates, move them to the QT and dose your DT. Then, after 30 days, you can change all the water and add cuprisorb to get rid of the residual copper.
Jay

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM won’t work in this case; you could clear the lion fish by moving it tank to tank, but if you move it back to your display before a good fallow period has taken place (45-76 days) the fish will likely just become reinfected.
Coppersafe in a QT for 30 days and then hold the lion there until the fallow period is over would be best. Another option - if you have lower value invertebrates, move them to the QT and dose your DT. Then, after 30 days, you can change all the water and add cuprisorb to get rid of the residual copper.
Jay
Sadly my lion succumbed to the ich, so DT is empty atm. You recommend doing a Coppersafe bomb for 30 days in DT? Will that affect my macro/micro algae + pods? Also how long until I can return inverts to main DT, and last could I add new fish into the DT during its 30 day copper dose.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back