Ich or velvet?? How to treat

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting with an issue in my tank for about 3 weeks now. I first noticed little white specs on the body and fins of my only two wrasses in the tank. No itching or such and acting completely normal. I was able to remove them from the DT and immediately gave them a 5 min freshwater dip. Then put into a qt tank for 2 weeks. I gave them a few dip every 4 days while in qt and after 2 weeks of not seeing any flecks, I put one wrasse back. The next day he was covered in the white flecks again.

My question is, all other fish in the tank show no signs of sickness and are completely healthy. I'm assuming that whatever is affecting the wrasses is in the display tank. What do I do from here and why wouldn't this sickness be showing up on any other fish?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain fish can develop partial immunity to both ich and velvet and/or can be asymptomatic / sub clinical.

The only way to get rid of whatever it is is to remove all fish and treat. You’d also need to run your display tank fallow. Did you do FW dips? Any white specks fell off?

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain fish can develop partial immunity to both ich and velvet and/or can be asymptomatic / sub clinical.

The only way to get rid of whatever it is is to remove all fish and treat. You’d also need to run your display tank fallow. Did you do FW dips? Any white specks fell off?
Yes I did a fw dip and couldn't visibly see anything but the flecks were gone almost immediately

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back