Ich or velvet? I can't tell.

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please help me decide what this hippo tang has? I think ich? Fish has a great appetite. She eats ogo, nori and anything you feed her. I just got her yesterday. I was planning to do ttm if ich. I know hippos can't tolerate cp. I gave her a fresh water dip tonight. She is currently in a 20 gallon that I had set up for some coral crags. I will transfer her to a bare bottom quarantine to treat & leave frag tank fallow. Could you please help me decide & any special needs for a hippo? I have been scouring this forum for several months for information. Thank you all for your contributions to this forum!!!

20181010_223559.jpg

20181010_223656.jpg

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it appears to be ich.
Thank you @Crabs Mcjones that is so much simpler. I am pretty new to the hobby and I just don't trust my judgment yet. I will start ttm and watch her closely. I have copper on hand but I don't want to use it if I don't have to. I have had great success with ttm but I know it only works for ich.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT BE AFRAID OF COPPER!!!

why are so many people so adverse to copper??
I'm not opposed to copper. I'm just new and I have only used it one other time. Before I found this forum.. I took a lfs advice to treat a df puffer with it...not a great experience. I don't want to make a mistake about the levels. Thank you for your input @Brian Bieger

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend looking into the tank transfer method. IMO it's under-used for how effective it is. Combining it with a series of freshwater dips will treat both ich and velvet. Plus, it's easy to even add in PraziPro to treat for worms.

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out the hanna checker. Thanks so much for the advice! @HotRocks I'm thinking that I need whole group of checkers.... very handy little gadgets!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out the hanna checker. Thanks so much for the advice! @HotRocks I'm thinking that I need whole group of checkers.... very handy little gadgets!

They have tons of great stuff!

I have their pH probe, and the calcium and Dkh checkers as well.

Very nice stuff!

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update little hippo tang is great and it was ich. I have finished the ttm and gc. I'm in observation phase of quarantine. She will be ready to go in big tank soon.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update little hippo tang is great and it was ich. I have finished the ttm and gc. I'm in observation phase of quarantine. She will be ready to go in big tank soon.
That is great news. [emoji106]

Back