Ich or velvet?

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little ich outbreak, decided to treat everyone except this guy as he’s bullying my little foxface and tomorrow morning I’m picking up a separate tank for him finally.

he showed no signs of anything just like most of my other fish (except for one that had a pretty bad case of ich which was confirmed to be ich on here)

I think he’s very stressed now since I took away all his friends and moved the rocks and he’s showing signs and is always rubbing against rocks, flashing from side to side and pretty often next to my cleaner shrimp for a little scratch.

Here are pics, I tried to get a good pic of his eye because there’s white spots at the top part of his eye (I think it’s called iris), there doesn’t seem to be too much info about it online.

He also eats a lot less than he used to but still eats a little bit. I don’t know if it qualifies as “not eating”. He looks more scared than anything when I feed him and comes out for a couple of bites very shyly. He’s alone in my tank with the inverts and corals.

Mostly small but many spots on his fin, a few big spots around his face and top fin. He’s incredibly hard to take a picture of and you can see more ich with the blue lights only which I can also provide if it’ll help the diagnosis.

what’s got me worried is what looks like a white film around him which is only visible at certain angles. I’m also posting pics of the sailfin that brought the disease and made me act fast on it

B2F5F1A5-F9B5-4364-8FD0-04E8675CF008.jpeg C9352909-482D-4339-8FEE-B724EFC81747.jpeg 535E78CC-7FA1-4EE5-841C-F6FA24CAE010.jpeg FDFD62AD-2028-4383-AB1C-F30230B6816F.jpeg 10A0330C-3878-4C94-A525-03950BCC88AF.jpeg 19ADCFFC-249B-44DF-94F3-69E755804FCE.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only seeing sand-size spots on him and they seem to be easily countable from the pictures posted. This makes me believe it is more an ich outbreak than a velvet outbreak. Velvet is much more "dusting" and more numerous spots that make counting difficult. I don't see the white film you mentioned in your message, though. Treating quickly is the best option, just in case.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only seeing sand-size spots on him and they seem to be easily countable from the pictures posted. This makes me believe it is more an ich outbreak than a velvet outbreak. Velvet is much more "dusting" and more numerous spots that make counting difficult. I don't see the white film you mentioned in your message, though. Treating quickly is the best option, just in case.
The dust is a little more visible here. Don’t know if it’s normal or maybe I just didn’t notice it before? I’m far from being a fish expert, only been in the hobby for 2-3 months

Attachments

• 600A9FE4-05A6-485A-BD07-A3E8FDEA30D2.jpeg
    600A9FE4-05A6-485A-BD07-A3E8FDEA30D2.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 61
  • EE3436FF-EBC8-4B34-9874-0147A81978E9.jpeg
    EE3436FF-EBC8-4B34-9874-0147A81978E9.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 62

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the most alarming photo; not the best angle, but that one ‘looks’ more like Marine Velvet, whereas the other more like Ich. Either way, act fast with copper because you have a problem on your hands. I like CopperSafe. Best wishes.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the most alarming photo; not the best angle, but that one ‘looks’ more like Marine Velvet, whereas the other more like Ich. Either way, act fast with copper because you have a problem on your hands. I like CopperSafe. Best wishes.
It’s hard to find info on velvet. All that ppl seem to be saying is if it was velvet the fish would’ve been dead already...

everything was fine until I got the sailfin tang on feb 16th, that was the last fish I got and it progressively got worse and worse with time until I QTed everyone March 7th except the YT who was doing fine until now.

really hoping for an expert to come in and tell me to calm down. QTing 12 fish is already hard as is without a cycled QT and picky eaters (mandarin). It’s a full time job of its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin tang clearly has ich. The yellow tang's skin may just be the way you are viewing it. Velvet always has a severe primary symptom - rapid breathing. With ich, you only see that in later stages. The posturing for the shrimp and flashing can be signs of flukes. Go with copper at full dose for now (in a treatment tank with no rocks, invertebrates and sand) ad then consider dosing with praziquantel for flukes at a later date.

jay

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dust is a little more visible here. Don’t know if it’s normal or maybe I just didn’t notice it before? I’m far from being a fish expert, only been in the hobby for 2-3 months
I think it might just be the angle of viewing on the yellow tang which gives that coloration. I see Jay has responded and gave the best advise and treatment already!

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but did you find out what was up with your yellow tang?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but did you find out what was up with your yellow tang?
If you scroll up, Jay said "The yellow tang's skin may just be the way you are viewing it."
Honestly, he still kinda looks like that even now depending on the angle you look at him, which is pretty hard to see if you dont have the perfect angle. Im still perplexed about what velvet looks like... If you dont mind, post pics on this thread and tag Jay.... I hate to bother the guy but hes really the MVP of this place... If theres anyone that knows their shiet about fish disease its Jay :)

So basically an update to the post : since meds are almost impossible to find in Canada and its pretty stressful to the fish (and some fish dont take copper), I did hyopsalinity for everyone, upgraded the 55g to a 125g and installed a 55w UV on the new tank. So fas so good, no ones showing any sings of ich since then, including the hippo tang. I appreciate the advice everyone gave me. I found someone with CP a few months after this post and Ive successfully treated all the newcomers with it.... Now im trying to find an excuse to upgrade the 125g because it already feels too small.... This whole ich story had me very worried for weeks but it was somewhat of a blessing since its the perfect excuse to upgrade tanks without your gf whining.

PS: I've had 0 fatalities in the 30 fish ive had so far (knock on wood). I did have to give 2 away due to bullying and even those are still alive in the display tanks at my LFS. My first ever tank was started 9-10 months ago and ive been through hell saving everyone. Mainly for ich and dinoflagellates since theyre potentially deadly but I feel like ive successfully beat them over time. Ive learned a lot during my journey and if anyone has any questions feel free to DM :) Now im struggling with corals but its about to be in control. Live and learn

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool I just wanted to make sure because I got a wild yellow tang about 2 weeks ago from a trusted source they say they pre quarantine there fish and I've bought a tang from them before and had no issues however when I saw your pic I low key freaked out a little because my yellow has the same white reflection under my blue lights some times usually at night before lights out but when I wake up in the morning (before blues come on) he looks super vibrant and yellow no spots or issues from what I can tell he rubs some times but like once or twice a day nothing that would concern me no heavy breathing or anything like that

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210907-095057.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210907-095057.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 34

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back