Ich or velvet?

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
Some back story I had 2clowns which were very aggressive towards each other.
When I put them together black one in 30 minutes almost murder an orange one. (Ripped scales, broken fins, bruising).

I removed black one and orange one started recovering. Then I added another orange small one and they were great together.

I was noticing some white spots on bigger one but I figured it’s from broken scales, stress… he was through a lot.

few days later I saw some spots on small orange one (I could count them so I thought ich) . Since I have corals and invertebrates I did a freshwater dip for fish and start Voogle dosing .
Yesterday was last day of voogle, fish were looking better. Today I found small fish dead , and big one looking like this:

70653222-20C6-4C9B-A238-69D736648B00.png

0C04AC7F-7EEC-49D6-8674-9A900681C11A.jpeg

Also the fish is swimming badly and not eating.

please let me know if you can what it is and how should I proceed? Thanks 06C903EA-678F-439E-BE95-65B30DA06E5F.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my phone and can’t see the video, but the mucus on the tan stripe of the clownfish is Brooklynella. What is Voogle?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m on my phone and can’t see the video, but the mucus on the tan stripe of the clownfish is Brooklynella. What is Voogle?
Jay
Agree, home sick today and have access to larger screen and fish loaded with mucus suggesting brook

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Thank you , Voogle is this https://reef-aquarium-store.com/easy-life-voogle
I don’t have any quarantine tank right now, and I have corals and invertebrates with it.
is there anything I can put that won’t kill other inhabitants? Thanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any quarantine tank right now, and I have corals and invertebrates with it.
sorry, but to treat the disease you have to use some methods that are not safe for the corals and such. Voogle likely will not cure the disease.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the ingredients are in voogle?
Unfortunately, any medication that is reef safe is also useless against disease, as the concentration that makes it reef safe is unable to effectively combat disease.
The only surefire way to treat brook is with formalin in a separate treatment tank and allowing the display tank to go fishless for 6 weeks.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, home sick today and have access to larger screen and fish loaded with mucus suggesting brook
Hmm thanks, what would you suggest to do? I have been looking for that formaline but don’t seem to be able to find it anywhere locally and tomorrow is public holiday here so no pet store will work until Wednesday.
Is there something else to do? Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the ingredients are in voogle?
Unfortunately, any medication that is reef safe is also useless against disease, as the concentration that makes it reef safe is unable to effectively combat disease.
The only surefire way to treat brook is with formalin in a separate treatment tank and allowing the display tank to go fishless for 6 weeks.
Thanks,
I unfortunately don’t think I’ll be able to get that formaline (if I even manage ) until Wednesday. Is there anything else I can try?

If the clown doesn’t make it I should wait 6 weeks before introducing new fish? With water changes?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm thanks, what would you suggest to do? I have been looking for that formaline but don’t seem to be able to find it anywhere locally and tomorrow is public holiday here so no pet store will work until Wednesday.
Is there something else to do? Thanks
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
looking at his profile, Malta, I suspect drugs will be problematic

Fresh water dips for a period until something can be found ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
I unfortunately don’t think I’ll be able to get that formaline (if I even manage ) until Wednesday. Is there anything else I can try?

If the clown doesn’t make it I should wait 6 weeks before introducing new fish? With water changes?
Correct - if the clown doesn’t survive, nothing new should be added to the tank for 6 weeks. Maintenance can be done as usual.
If you have access to ruby reef rally, that is often used for brook.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

No. FW dip provided TEMPORARY relief and not a cure as mucus will generate faster than relief from FW . I realize Malta and I gave the US meds so he can try and find pharmaceuticals with similar ingredients. I dont think any of us Can suggest a foreign or European medication.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell what’s in it. A general rule of thumb for aquariums products here in the US is when they advertise it as “reef safe” it usually will not cure active disease problems. What these are is some type of tonic, not a true medication.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sadly yes in here it’s a bit hard getting chemicals ( easier to buy actual drugs) . I’ll try my best but sadly in here in public holidays no one works , which is a nightmare when you need something urgently.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to do dw dip, then on Wednesday to get the chemical if I manage. Another issue is Idint have qt tank. I’ll try to makeshift something quickly in a bucket with perhaps daily changes of water to remove amonia since it won’t be cycled but I’m not sure he will survive until Wednesday.

thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - if the clown doesn’t survive, nothing new should be added to the tank for 6 weeks. Maintenance can be done as usual.
If you have access to ruby reef rally, that is often used for brook.
He sadly didn’t make it through the night.

Can you let me know please why is there a 6 weeks time frame before adding new things?
also since I have invertebrates ( green and red leg hermit crabs , peppermint shrimp, turbo snails and bunch of different pods) as well as corals (Zoa, fingers , Duncan , Xenia , mushroom) do I need to do something about them? I’m not sure if the can carry the disease that killed fish , perhaps I have to dip them?
Thanks

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you let me know please why is there a 6 weeks time frame before adding new things?
also since I have invertebrates ( green and red leg hermit crabs , peppermint shrimp, turbo snails and bunch of different pods) as well as corals (Zoa, fingers , Duncan , Xenia , mushroom) do I need to do something about them? I’m not sure if the can carry the disease that killed fish , perhaps I have to dip them?
Thanks
Inverts and corals do not host fish parasites. Brook will completely die off if there are no fish in the tank for 6 weeks.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
6 weeks is generally the period that all brook parasites will starve out without the host. Even longer can ensure no parasite of any kind survives, if there is such a parasite in the system. Although inverts and corals are generally considered parasite-free, the dormant parasites or eggs can hitchhike onto the surface, be it the shell of a crustacean or a coral’s skeleton. However, these chances are slim, though they are still worth considering.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, your corals and inverts cannot be infected by brook, ich, velvet, or really any fish disease. Since any med that will kill disease will also kill inverts, time is your ally here.
This gives you time to put together a quarantine tank to ensure disease doesn’t find its way back into the dt.

Back