ich or velvet?

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has happened finally, I recently obtained 3 new tangs for my DT luckily I always quarintine. What I thought was healthy Hippo was not. Immediately once dropped in qt I noticed white spots this morning I woke up to even more spots. I started slowly raising copper as of yesterday and this morning I reached therapeutic level. I use cupramine as my copper solution. What can I do to prevent my mimic and powder brown from catching this? Also ich or velvet? Started with a couple spots and just heavy breathing then this morning a lot of spots and actually a little more active.

9FAE4738-9AE0-4193-8153-17D7A10DD2B4.jpeg 4661F75C-C28E-4D23-B938-C6D5B00A9145.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ick to me. If in the same qt, you can't stop the others from catching it. Keep on with your copper treatment.

Don't be surprised if the blue hippo comes out the other end still showing spots.

Don't know how it happens, but it's all too frequent.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich, but can you get clearer pictures?
The rapid breathing is more a sign of velvet - it is possible for fish to have both diseases at once though. The Cupramine will treat both though, as long as you are at 0.50 ppm.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Based on size of dots, I agree Ich
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich, but can you get clearer pictures?
The rapid breathing is more a sign of velvet - it is possible for fish to have both diseases at once though. The Cupramine will treat both though, as long as you are at 0.50 ppm.
Jay
how to use properly cupramine? I think it will kill all bacteria and ammonia will rise, right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to use properly cupramine? I think it will kill all bacteria and ammonia will rise, right?
Cupramine won’t appreciably harm the beneficial bacteria. Be sure to never use it with ammonia removing compounds because a toxic amount of copper can be released if you do.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back