Ich or Velvet?

necco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please help me identify this. At first I thought it was Ich, but now I'm leaning towards Velvet. Not really sure, hard to find pictures in detail. I was treating for Ich - started Hypo 2 weeks ago, but now I'm thinking Copper would have been the way to go. Now I've lost 2 weeks and if its Velvet I may have been able to save them. Here is a picture of my female clown, she hasn't been eating for over a week now.

Untitled.jpg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty looking eyes means ich to me. I'm not a fish disease or treatment expert but I've only had success using copper.

OP
OP
necco

necco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply

I just ordered some copper and a test kit, should be here Wed. I think over the next couple of days I'm gonna bring the water back to a normal range in preparation.

Thanks again, you made me feel better

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is a fast killer. Typically, once you see it on the fish they dont last longer than 48 hours. So I'm going with ich.

OP
OP
necco

necco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

I was trying to figure out how long a fish lasted with Velvet. All I got from my research was "once it was detected it's to late".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
necco

necco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afriad that I did misdiagnose the problem, and I feel pretty strongly that it is the latter of the two suspected diseases. It seems the small specs are starting to cover the 5 fish that I have, and all of them are breathing heavy. The Yellow eye kole tang - new addition that may have carried the disease is starting to fade (righting himself when he tips to his side) I give him less than 24 hours. The other four fish my 2- 9yr old clowns, 4yr old copperband and a 4yr old royal gramma are all showing signs. The only one that attempted to eat is my copperband. I'm still going to make an attempt to use the copper when it arrives tomorrow, I owe them that for my ignorance alone. Hope they survive the salinity change

IMG_0257.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip between 3 and 5 minutes will give your fish some relief and may keep them alive until your copper arrives.

EcoFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no good treatment recommendations but in my experience ich ends up looking like larger dots on a fishes fins and body...the heavy breathing is the give away its velvet for me as it starts at their gill plates and is most easily diagnosed by taking a clipping of gillplate and looking at it under a microscope. Good Luck i wish you the best with it

OP
OP
necco

necco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information and kind words

I woke up tonite to find that my royal gramma has past. He was worst off than I had thought, but showed minimal symptoms other than the heavy breathing and lack of movement. I fear that the tang may be gone when I get home from work in the morning.

I did the freshwater dip to them all. I'm sure it helped, but not sure I should be stressing them out anymore than they are now by trying to catch them to perform it? Kinda of a double edged sword. Although I may try it again before the copper treatment.

I'm on my second water change to bring the salinity back up, currently it's at 1.018 SG. I hate to rush this, but I think the faster I can dose the copper the better off they'll be.

I fear that there outlook is grim, but I'm not giving up on them. They are the only reason I'm still in this hobby

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back