Ich or Velvet

CableGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some thoughts on if this is Ich or Velvet. Been treating per sellers guidance for Ich for the last week using Metroplex, Focus, and flake food. The symptoms appeared to get better and then yesterday we lost three fish and I fear or Blue Hippo Tang and Foxface may be next. Both of our clown fish are absolutely covered in it. Everyone is eating as of last night.

Attached is a photo of our sailfin that died yesterday.

20230315_104118.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, your fish have a severe case of Cryptocaryon, marine ich.

Metroplex + Focus won't work for marine ich,. It does help with internal protozoans, but it needs to be dosed carefully - 0.5% by weight in the food/focus mixture. It is old advice, based on an incorrect assumption, sorry.

What you saw where the spots got better and then worse again is part of the life cycle of the parasite, not any help from the Metroplex....when ich first gets started, the parasites are all the same age and are synced up to drop off the fish around the same time.

Once fish loss has happened with an outbreak, it is difficult to cure the rest of the fish before they are lost as well. There are no effective treatments that can be used at this point if there are invertebrates in the tank - you will need to move all fish out (or move the inverts out) and quickly treat the fish with coppersafe or hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CableGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, your fish have a severe case of Cryptocaryon, marine ich.

Metroplex + Focus won't work for marine ich,. It does help with internal protozoans, but it needs to be dosed carefully - 0.5% by weight in the food/focus mixture. It is old advice, based on an incorrect assumption, sorry.

What you saw where the spots got better and then worse again is part of the life cycle of the parasite, not any help from the Metroplex....when ich first gets started, the parasites are all the same age and are synced up to drop off the fish around the same time.

Once fish loss has happened with an outbreak, it is difficult to cure the rest of the fish before they are lost as well. There are no effective treatments that can be used at this point if there are invertebrates in the tank - you will need to move all fish out (or move the inverts out) and quickly treat the fish with coppersafe or hyposalinity.

Jay
Thanks Jay.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please in the future post any pics under white lighting.

OP
OP
C

CableGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to pull all the fish today at 11a and bring them to the sellers isolation tank to try and save what we can.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back