ICH outbreak/ Tank upgrade

robbym89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking advice for my tank upgrade/ich outbreak. I have battled ich over the last few months using a treatment, obviously it comes back tho and this time it’s with a vengeance. It’s a 260 gallon FOWLR. I just got a new tank, 300 gallons, so not a huge upgrade but it’s gonna go in the same spot as the old tank so I was planning a temporary saltwater holding pond.

since I’m gonna move the fish and rocks into a temporary pond, what would be the best way to treat the ich? Since it’s a fowlr with no inverts, what’s the difference between treating them with copper in the pond for a month vs in the display tank? I didn’t want them to be in the pond longer than a couple days while I plumb the new tank, but If I can eradicate the ich before they go in their new home I’ll do whatever is best.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider a month of hyposalinity treatment in your display.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seeking advice for my tank upgrade/ich outbreak. I have battled ich over the last few months using a treatment, obviously it comes back tho and this time it’s with a vengeance. It’s a 260 gallon FOWLR. I just got a new tank, 300 gallons, so not a huge upgrade but it’s gonna go in the same spot as the old tank so I was planning a temporary saltwater holding pond.

since I’m gonna move the fish and rocks into a temporary pond, what would be the best way to treat the ich? Since it’s a fowlr with no inverts, what’s the difference between treating them with copper in the pond for a month vs in the display tank? I didn’t want them to be in the pond longer than a couple days while I plumb the new tank, but If I can eradicate the ich before they go in their new home I’ll do whatever is best.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
If you’re removing all the fish anyway, get a few 10-20 tanks and do either copper treatment or the tank transfer method (TTM). Those are your two best options to treat and not introduce ich to your new display.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you'll be reusing your live rock (right?) you will either need to treat that along with the fish, or leave it fallow for 45 to 75 days depending on temperature. Of - you can run everything through hyposalinity - 1.009 for 30 to 35 days.

Jay

OP
OP
R

robbym89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you'll be reusing your live rock (right?) you will either need to treat that along with the fish, or leave it fallow for 45 to 75 days depending on temperature. Of - you can run everything through hyposalinity - 1.009 for 30 to 35 days.

Jay
I just read your information regarding hyposalinity and you've sold me on that over copper. I am going to transfer them into a holding pond tomorrow so ill start the level drop with that and continue the drop when i transfer them into the new tank. Appreciate your advice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back