Ich Restart

IBlameTheDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I need to let the tank be dry to make sure any unhatched Ich is dead? I emptied and scrubbed and ran fresh water for 24 hours now sitting dry just curious how long it will need to be dry before it is safe to fill back up and start it cycling?

Also, is there something else I should be doing before I set it back up?

All fish are in a separate QT tank with copper now and for the next 30 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I need to let the tank be dry to make sure any unhatched Ich is dead? I emptied and scrubbed and ran fresh water for 24 hours now sitting dry just curious how long it will need to be dry before it is safe to fill back up and start it cycling?

Also, is there something else I should be doing before I set it back up?

All fish are in a separate QT tank with copper now and for the next 30 days.

I wouldn’t rely on drying...with summer humidity it may not get dry enough, and then, I’m not sure if anyone can tell you how long of time to give it.

My worry with a freshwater rinse is always missing something where the ich could be hiding out- like above the waterline, deep in the pores of a rock, etc. Rather than freshwater, I sterilize everything with 500 ppm bleach for 24 hours, then rinse well and remove residual bleach with dechlor. This has the added benefit of killing fluke eggs and bacteria that the freshwater misses. That said, your freshwater rinse is probably fine...besides, the tank will still be laying fallow for 30 days while your fish are in QT.

Jay

OP
OP
IBlameTheDog

IBlameTheDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I will add the bleach for 24 hours, I definitely have time and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I will add the bleach for 24 hours, I definitely have time and I would rather be safe than sorry.
Just to confirm - if you do go with the bleach, be certain that you buy bleach that is sodium hypochlorite and water, no fragrances. I've had some difficulty getting plain bleach in recent years. I think Gordon Foods carries it. The dose works out like this: gallons of water x 500 ppm divided by 266 = milliliters of bleach to use. If you have a 100 gallon tank, that works out like this: 100 x 500 / 266 = 188 milliliters, or about 6 ounces of bleach. Wear gloves and eye protection, and keep pets and children away from the tank. Drain and rinse really well, and drain again. Fill it a final time, and a double dose of dechlorinator and drain again. It's a lot of work - you may be fine with just a FW soak (grin)

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back