Ich survived quarantine so now i need guidance on ich management

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, i have been quarantining a hippo tang for more than half a year now that i suspected had ich he has been through 2 rounds of 30 day copper then a transfer to a new tank and hybrid ttm 2x, freshwater dip, and a month or two of observation. never actually looked like he had ich although when i dropped him in the tank yesterday he broke out in ich which has settled now and can now no longer seen. I was guessing that is because of the stress of moving. the hippo is now doing well exploring the new surroundings. The other fish in there are also doing well although i wanted to know if i need to copper treat the fishes i have been quarantining for 2 months.

The fish im currently quarantining are two zebra genicanthus angels, a desjardini tang, and a young fowlery tang which the seller accidently sent me. They have been with me no meds 2-3 months they came in fat and healthy all 4 of them from the same seller. They were kept for 6 months by the seller before sold to me so they are healthy. would this mean they don't have velvet since i never saw any kind of dots on them. Since i already have ich in my display now would i need to copper treat them? For those who have experience in ich management do i need to treat with copper in quarantine or just fatten them up and observe?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your display tank had ich? Even if you treated your hippo tang it could’ve been the other fish in the display that have it back to him after he was treated

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated all my fish when one of them got ich, then left my tank empty for two months and it never came back

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your display tank had ich? Even if you treated your hippo tang it could’ve been the other fish in the display that have it back to him after he was treated
yeah all the fish went through heavy quarantine, 4 were freshwater mollies and 2 clownfishes which went through the same things as the hippo.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im worried the moving and catching will cause too much stress on the hippo causing more harm than good. because right now they are all doing well eating and everything.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im worried the moving and catching will cause too much stress on the hippo causing more harm than good. because right now they are all doing well eating and everything.
I’m not sure, I was worried about that too especially in regards to my multicolor angel and flameback angel cause I know they are a little sensitive to copper. Not to add the stress of catching them, but I took out all my rocks and caught them even though they were breeding heavy I knew they were healthy. Now it’s ok, but I know tangs are sensitive to copper too, I use cupramine which is apparently stronger than copper power and I’ve never lost a fish to it so I’m happy:)

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure, I was worried about that too especially in regards to my multicolor angel and flameback angel cause I know they are a little sensitive to copper. Not to add the stress of catching them, but I took out all my rocks and caught them even though they were breeding heavy I knew they were healthy. Now it’s ok, but I know tangs are sensitive to copper too, I use cupramine which is apparently stronger than copper power and I’ve never lost a fish to it so I’m happy:)
treated everyone with cupramine too 2 times even weird how the ich stayed, stayed at 5.5 to 6 which is a bit high but no stress at all. Heard from someone that catching hippos will make the ich worse or something like that not sure though. or maybe it wasnt ich? not sure? maybe some thing just because of stress?

Last edited:

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
treated everyone with cupramine too 2 times even weird how the ich stayed, stayed at 5.5 to 6 which is a bit high but no stress at all. Heard from someone that catching hippos will make the ich worse or something like that not sure though.
5.5 to 6??? What do you mean?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your saying the ich broke out into a bunch of spots all of a sudden and then disappeared? Ich is generally slow developing and doesn't typically go away suddenly. That sounds more like bacteria or simply an artifact of the fish being terrified entering a new environment. Also you said there was ich in the display 2 months before? The fallow period for ich is 45 days at 81 degrees so you should be safe if you followed those guidelines you can reference here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/45-day-fallow-periods.805213/

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say, you’re fish are the strongest fish ever if they survived those levels of copper haha
yeahh haha i knew something was off when i posted the reply...
Your saying the ich broke out into a bunch of spots all of a sudden and then disappeared? Ich is generally slow developing and doesn't typically go away suddenly. That sounds more like bacteria or simply an artifact of the fish being terrified entering a new environment. Also you said there was ich in the display 2 months before? The fallow period for ich is 45 days at 81 degrees so you should be safe if you followed those guidelines you can reference here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/45-day-fallow-periods.805213/
oh sorry if it was a bit confusing no the display never had ich i restarted the tank a year and a half ago, meant that i was quarantining some new fish for two months. i was also thinking that it might not be ich if it came and went so quickly... ill search up more about other hippos that went through the same this as mine.

Last edited:

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a picture? If it has gone away completely and your concerned it was there the only way to guarantee it is gone would be to follow a strict fallow period but I am personally of the belief that ich can be managed just fine as long as the fish are healthy and you certainly seem to be focused on doing everything you need to do that so it is totally up to what you feel comfortable doing.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about ich now that it's in the display, unless you want to run that 76 fallow period. It's more like a common flu than covid to fish. Keep them well fed and low on stress is easier approach. That's what I'm doing.

But I will still QT fish, because there are more nasty stuff, like velvet, fluke, brook, etc. Just to avoid velvet outbreak will be worth of the QT.

When introduce the fish to display, use an acclimation box to lessen stress.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeahh haha i knew something was off when i posted the reply...

oh sorry if it was a bit confusing no the display never had ich i restarted the tank a year and a half ago, meant that i was quarantining some new fish for two months. i was also thinking that it might not be ich if it came and went so quickly... ill search up more about other hippos that went through the same this as mine.
Oh it was a new tank, I’m confused lol

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a picture? If it has gone away completely and your concerned it was there the only way to guarantee it is gone would be to follow a strict fallow period but I am personally of the belief that ich can be managed just fine as long as the fish are healthy and you certainly seem to be focused on doing everything you need to do that so it is totally up to what you feel comfortable doing.
1E4BEF9C-8108-432B-A657-CD7A25F1CC07.jpeg

heres a pic has a darker spot which was from the copper treatment which is getting better.

I would not worry about ich now that it's in the display, unless you want to run that 76 fallow period. It's more like a common flu than covid to fish. Keep them well fed and low on stress is easier approach. That's what I'm doing.

But I will still QT fish, because there are more nasty stuff, like velvet, fluke, brook, etc. Just to avoid velvet outbreak will be worth of the QT.

When introduce the fish to display, use an acclimation box to lessen stress.
wanted to know what meds you use for the quarantine since you practice ich management. I will still quarantine but just wondering if copper is still needed if the fishes have been in the qt for 2-3 months with no signs of brook, velvet, or ich and 6 months with the seller with no prob. And if you just observe or treat regardless.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1E4BEF9C-8108-432B-A657-CD7A25F1CC07.jpeg

heres a pic has a darker spot which was from the copper treatment which is getting better.

wanted to know what meds you use for the quarantine since you practice ich management. I will still quarantine but just wondering if copper is still needed if the fishes have been in the qt for 2-3 months with no signs of brook, velvet, or ich and 6 months with the seller with no prob. And if you just observe or treat regardless.

I just treat with copper and metroplex regardless. And with general cure for deworming.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treat with copper and metroplex regardless. And with general cure for deworming.
I will start the coppe treatment then for the ones in qt. Im still not 100% sure its ich because i have never seen one speck on the hippo then suddenly the second hes dropped into the DT dots that disappeared a few hours later. But will still keep an eye out just in case its ich.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back