Ich treatment help

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to forums(old fart) and I hope this is the proper way to post. I have Ich in my tank and presently doing hypo-salinity at 1.010. I wanted to know if I can also use Seachem Cupramine medication at the same time, or is this stressing fish too much. I have FOWLR. When I was much younger I lost an entire tank to ich. The second time I saved the tank by composting the affected fish to save the tank, which worked, but can't afford to loose a Powder Blue Tang. Please help, and thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to forums(old fart) and I hope this is the proper way to post. I have Ich in my tank and presently doing hypo-salinity at 1.010. I wanted to know if I can also use Seachem Cupramine medication at the same time, or is this stressing fish too much. I have FOWLR. When I was much younger I lost an entire tank to ich. The second time I saved the tank by composting the affected fish to save the tank, which worked, but can't afford to loose a Powder Blue Tang. Please help, and thanks in advance!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, you posted in the right spot.

I normally don’t treat hypo and copper at the same time. Copper has to be used at lower doses in freshwater, and there just isn’t good data about what partial dose to use at half salinity.
Both hypo and copper take time to work, usually 72 hours. If the treatment is begun late, the fish may not have that much time left. I just don’t think doubling down will speed up the process though.

If you want to try it anyway, I’d suggest Coppersafe over Cupramine as it isn’t as harsh,

Jay

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, you posted in the right spot.

I normally don’t treat hypo and copper at the same time. Copper has to be used at lower doses in freshwater, and there just isn’t good data about what partial dose to use at half salinity.
Both hypo and copper take time to work, usually 72 hours. If the treatment is begun late, the fish may not have that much time left. I just don’t think doubling down will speed up the process though.

If you want to try it anyway, I’d suggest Coppersafe over Cupramine as it isn’t as harsh,

Jay
Thank you Jay, I,ve been doing all I can, vacuuming the sand bed, constant water changes, changed all filter media and removed charcoal. I jumped on the problem as soon as I saw two white spots on the PBT, so I think I'm on top of it as much as can be. I did a five minute freshwater dip on the three fish showing signs, they did quite well, except for a sadddleback puffer that I pulled after 1 minute.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use copper with hypo-salinity - it makes copper much more toxic.

There is evidence of hypo-resistant ich. Plus evaporation will work against you every day. Having the salinity raise will make the treatment ineffective.

I recommend a more stable and consistent treatment: copper or TTM.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use copper with hypo-salinity - it makes copper much more toxic.

There is evidence of hypo-resistant ich. Plus evaporation will work against you every day. Having the salinity raise will make the treatment ineffective.

I recommend a more stable and consistent treatment: copper or TTM.
Actually, coppersafe can be used at all salinities. I just avoid copper and hypo due to the additive effects of the stress.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back