ICH treatment/QT process for wrasse varieties

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have identified that most of my fish has white spots aka ICH. I’m dosing POLYPLAP reef safe medic that can control outbreak, but it isn’t cure.

my 3 inch regal blue tang got full of ich, including powder blue and yellow fox face. No ICH sign on Scopas, wrasses and clown. I’m planning to Qt with cupramine treatment for all of my fish and keep the DT fish less running about 6 weeks. My biggest concern is that can wrasses (silver belly wrasse and 6 line wrasse) survive cupramine treatment? Can I leave these 2 wrasse in DT? Pls help

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest you go with coppersafe or copper power rather than cupramine if at all possible.

I've had several wrasses react very very poorly to cupramine treatment, while the same wrasses seem unaffected by copper power. Since I switched to copper power, I have much less issues QTing fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest you go with coppersafe or copper power rather than cupramine if at all possible.

I've had several wrasses react very very poorly to cupramine treatment, while the same wrasses seem unaffected by copper power. Since I switched to copper power, I have much less issues QTing fish.
Thank you. Would you suggest any brands specifically? I currently have seachem cupramine. Honestly, I’m new for copper based teatment. I never had ich issues for 2 years until i recently introduced powder blue tang. It would be great help if you could suggest the qt procedure as well. I don’t want to loose my wrasse since they are with for 3 years. QT tank would be 30 gallon and planning to invest in canister filter to reduce water change frequency.

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is made by Fritz/Mardel
Copper Power is made by Endich (make sure its the blue version for marine, not the green freshwater version)

I would suggest you treat all your fish for 30 days at 2.5ppm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is made by Fritz/Mardel
Copper Power is made by Endich (make sure its the blue version for marine, not the green freshwater version)

I would suggest you treat all your fish for 30 days at 2.5ppm.
This one is available in my country. Is it good to go? I need to order it.

Attachments

• F6E92EBB-BE0C-4BE5-B9A6-10DD8FA0CF49.jpeg
    F6E92EBB-BE0C-4BE5-B9A6-10DD8FA0CF49.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DB4228E4-9E79-4B72-B992-99B60B8B8000.jpeg
    DB4228E4-9E79-4B72-B992-99B60B8B8000.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is available in my country. Is it good to go? I need to order it.
Do you have a copper test kit? preferably the Hanna copper checker?

If so, then go ahead and use that copper safe. I don't know what the dosage is on that particular product, so you need to follow the directions and confirm the dosage with a copper test kit.

Do you know what the recommended dosage is for that product? It's probably different than the versions/dosages we have here in the US.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a copper test kit? preferably the Hanna copper checker?

If so, then go ahead and use that copper safe. I don't know what the dosage is on that particular product, so you need to follow the directions and confirm the dosage with a copper test kit.

Do you know what the recommended dosage is for that product? It's probably different than the versions/dosages we have here in the US.
It says: Remains active in the water for at least 15-30 days, thus it is very economical in preventing and curing disease.
Add 1ml per 10 liters of water.
I need to get copper test kit. Hanna checker may not be available at my place. Otherwise API test kit for copper

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It says: Remains active in the water for at least 15-30 days, thus it is very economical in preventing and curing disease.
I need to get copper test kit. Hanna checker may not be available at my place. Otherwise API test kit for copper
30 days is required interval- should work
Assure to have a reliable test kit to monitor copper level

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK that sounds like it's definitely different than the version we have here in the US. our copper safe is dosed at like 1ml per 3L. (bottle says 5ml per 4 gal)
So the version you are looking at seems to be about 3 times as strong/more concentrated since you only need 1/3 as much...

So I'm not really sure what that product's formulation is... whether it is chelated copper, or an ionic copper. I'm assuming chelated copper, but hard to say for sure. If you use it, I'd recommend dosing up to the limit slowly.

What does your LFS use for copper treatments?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have invertebrates/corals with your fish? You could also try a hypo salinity protocol if you do not. Otherwise - copper is the way to go - and I would follow the directions on the product you have. Remember - that you will need to leave your display tank fallow for 45-76 days - depending on the protocol you choose. The fish need 21-30 days of copper - depending on the protocol you choose.

PS - its stressful going through this - please feel free to ask any questions - and welcome to R2R

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days is required interval- should work
Assure to have a reliable test kit to monitor copper level
Yes. I’m trying to get Hanna checker, but I
It ships only after 5 to 6 weeks, costing around usd 56. I don’t have enough time as all my fish may die at any time if treatment is not started soon.

Attachments

• BF6A9EAD-2CAF-4767-B475-0D32BB9DC849.jpeg
    BF6A9EAD-2CAF-4767-B475-0D32BB9DC849.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that sounds like it's definitely different than the version we have here in the US. our copper safe is dosed at like 1ml per 3L. (bottle says 5ml per 4 gal)
So the version you are looking at seems to be about 3 times as strong/more concentrated since you only need 1/3 as much...

So I'm not really sure what that product's formulation is... whether it is chelated copper, or an ionic copper. I'm assuming chelated copper, but hard to say for sure. If you use it, I'd recommend dosing up to the limit slowly.

What does your LFS use for copper treatments?
I researched further, yet to find out the formulation of this product. I do have online buying options like prodibio worms and parasite salt (product may receive in 3 days) and API super ick cure,. 90% of LFS here never use copper treatments and 10% may use seachem cupramine since seachem product is widely available in our market. My only concern is saving couple of my wrasse, since they are very active and no sign of ich what so ever. I would feel really bad if I loose them during this treatment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have invertebrates/corals with your fish? You could also try a hypo salinity protocol if you do not. Otherwise - copper is the way to go - and I would follow the directions on the product you have. Remember - that you will need to leave your display tank fallow for 45-76 days - depending on the protocol you choose. The fish need 21-30 days of copper - depending on the protocol you choose.

PS - its stressful going through this - please feel free to ask any questions - and welcome to R2R
I do have corals and two fire shrimps. Couple of hammers, Zoa, toadstool, finger leather, cup corals, sea fan, mushrooms and Brian’s. I cannot sleep as I’m worried about saving my live stocks. I have a feet size of naso tang without any ich sign and is active (bought it less than 3 inches few years ago) even my 90 gallon display tank is very small for this big fella, I don’t know how to keep this guy in 30 gallon QT tank for over a month. As I mentioned earlier, wrasse are there without ich sign.
stocks below for QT process: could you people advise if all of my live stocks can go through copper treatment in 30 gallon tank.
One Large naso. Without ich sign. Always getting cleaned by fire shrimp.
One Powder blue tang (heavily infected) about 3 inches.
Regal blue tang (he is culprit) bought it recently- about 2 inches and heavily infected. Looks like baby.
Scopas- 1. No sign of ich.
Yellow rabbit fish without spot. Heavily infected but eating like pig.
Large Clarkii clown. Always getting cleaned by fire shrimp and no sign of ich.
Ebili tang - 3 inches. White spots on his body.
Bi-colour blenny. He is getting stressed.
Purple firefish. He is active without signs.
Yellow silver belly wrasse. Active and no
Sign of ich.
Six line wrasse- no sign of ich.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I just got the brightwell cuprion ionic, non-chelated solution. Am I good to go with this? 1 drop per gallon increase by 0.20ppm. I set up a QT tank about 38 US gallon for all of my fishes. I have two wrasses and a blenny.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back